Gers fans defy Green Tannadice ticket plea

RANGERS fans WILL support their team at Tannadice against Dundee United next month after nearly 100 defied Charles Greenâ??s boycott within 24 HOURS of tickets going on sale.

The Third Division leaders moved 19 POINTS clear yesterday with 44,976 taking in the defeat of Berwick Rangers at Ibrox. Gers chief Green had urged supporters NOT to buy tickets from United for the February 2 game but that has fallen on deaf ears with some.

United took the decision to sell direct to Rangers fans after the club refused their allocation and promised to give their share of the gate money to charity.

As the row between the two former SPL rivals took a new twist, Gers boss Ally McCoist warned his side they still have to improve.

McCoist was unhappy with the defending which saw Berwick Rangers pull two quickfire goals back on his side during five second-half minutes.

Andy Littleâ??s hat-trick ensured Gers would stay well ahead, but McCoist admitted: â??It was a case of â??job doneâ??.

â??There were more pluses than minuses and I was pleased with the majority of the performance. But there were aspects I wasnâ??t happy with â?? namely their goals.

â??They were both avoidable. At the first, Ross Perryâ??s initial header wasnâ??t great and at the second Andy Little didnâ??t defend the front-post area.To go from 3-0 to 3-2 was disappointing but it didnâ??t come as a great surprise to me. Thereâ??s not much here that really surprises me now!â?

Ibrox chief executive Green had blasted the Tannadice side and claimed their actions could cause security problems.

But United countered by pointing out that they have regularly sold up to 2,000 briefs to Gers supporters without any problems in previous years.

Tickets went on sale on Friday, with United now having sold over 5,000 for the fifth-round tie.

On current sales figures, the club are expecting a crowd of around 9,000 â?? with up to 600 travelling supporters possibly ignoring Greenâ??s plea to stay away.

Relations between the clubs have deteriorated since the summer, with Gers fans pointing the finger at United chairman Stephen Thompson for them not being voted back into the SPL.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4741277/Gers-fans-defy-Green-ticket-plea.html#ixzz2HqgLH0mg

Free country of course but any proper Rangers fan going to this is letting the club and their fellow fans down, not people I'll be proud to call fellow fans.

Also if this boycott doesn't work there should be no talk of them again, this was a brilliant chance with the club advocating the boycott and the real test case to show what we as a group of fans can do if screwed over some more.

All in all very disappointing if the story is true.

Edited by simplythebest

Well, it is - as always - "to each his/her own". If some people (amongst tens of thousands) put their love and will to support the club in enemy lands ahead of the boycott or any wish of the majority of the support, so be it. While I certainly don't like it, I neither criminalise them for their opinion and behaviour. It's still a democracy ...

And obviously, some undercover folk are required to record the abuse hurled at our players and staff, tape the "jovial" banter and chanting aimed at us ... so we actually have evidence for that. For most of the mhedia will turn a blind eye and ear on that.

Well, it is - as always - "to each his/her own". If some people (amongst tens of thousands) put their love and will to support the club in enemy lands ahead of the boycott or any wish of the majority of the support, so be it. While I certainly don't like it, I neither criminalise them for their opinion and behaviour. It's still a democracy ...

And obviously, some undercover folk are required to record the abuse hurled at our players and staff, tape the "jovial" banter and chanting aimed at us ... so we actually have evidence for that. For most of the mhedia will turn a blind eye and ear on that.

Just because it's a democracy doesn't mean we can't express our disappointment at their selfish attitude.