Ally - Reconstruction can't go through as it lacks sporting integrity

East Fife oppose new league changes

EAST FIFE chairman Sid Collumbine is certain most lower-league clubs in Scotland want to see changes to the league structure — just not rushed through for next season.

With a proposed 12-12-18 set-up on the table, there have been suggestions that the changes could be fast-tracked and implemented for the 2013/14 campaign.

Collumbine said he is dead set against that idea and would rather see any shake-up in place for the start of the 2014/15 season at the earliest.

The Bayview chief said: “I’ve no problem with changes but to try and push it through for next season? I’m totally against that.

“There are a number of Second and Third Division teams who have been trying to get up the leagues and spending money to try and reach the play-offs but that money would be wasted.

“Yes, we need change, but changes have got to be made fair.

“East Fife have been trying to get into the top four before the end of the season and we have spent money to go along that road.

“We’ve done that and other teams have budgeted for what they think they can achieve this season but to change the goalposts halfway through a season is just not on, in my book.

“Obviously, there are a lot of things still to be ironed out but I’ve spoken to a few chairmen and they agree with me.

“In fact, they are not happy at all.”

Under manager Billy Brown, Collumbine’s club are chasing a promotion play-off spot and are three points off fourth place.

The Fife club took the decision this year to invest two thirds of the gate receipt garnered from their League Cup clash with Rangers, around £100,000, in a fixed interest bond, which will mature before the end of the season – a decision which has steadied the ship financially.

Although cashflow is not an immediate problem, Collumbine would love to see crowds at Bayview pick up.

All but one of the Third Division fixtures had a higher attendance than the 486 who saw the Fife’s Second Division game against Albion Rovers on Saturday and Collumbine said: “As far as I’m concerned, you’ve got to look after your own club.

“We’ve got a director, Harry Blyth, who is in schools all the time, and we’ve had youngsters down and around the club, so we’re trying to do all we can on that front.

“The only thing that will bring people back through the turnstiles is results and we’re trying hard on that front.

“We own our own club and the bank can’t come in tomorrow and just shut the doors, which is more than I can say for some other SFL clubs.

“As long as I’m here, we’ll try and keep East Fife healthy and safe.”