Ally - Reconstruction can't go through as it lacks sporting integrity

Ally McCoist believes Rangers will be denied promotion under plans to restructure the Scottish football league which he says "lack sporting integrity".

The Ibrox boss believes the "small minded" proposal, which would see the current four-tier format change to three leagues, would unfairly penalise his side and render the current season meaningless.

Under the plans, Rangers would take up a place in the third tier of the league, a step up from their current position in tier four.

Although they would move up if they can clinch the Third Division title this campaign, they would be joined by every other team currently plying their trade in the bottom tier.

McCoist instead believes a way should be found for his team to be advanced out of the proposed new bottom tier.

"I don't think reconstruction can go through," he said. "It lacks sporting integrity. I don't think you can change during a season.

"All we are looking for is continued fair play. If we win the league then we should be promoted, in my opinion."

Speaking at his traditional Friday news conference, McCoist said he believed a combination of "time, legality and sporting integrity" should hamper plans to push through the planned change for the start of the 2013/14 campaign.

The manager also expressed his unhappiness at Rangers having no vote on the proposals, a circumstance of their admission to the Scottish Football League as associate members in the summer, saying it was a "slap in the coupon" to supporters.

Chief executive Charles Green had spoken earlier in the week of finding a way out of the Scottish league structure if reconstruction plans went ahead.

"All we want to do is get back to the top," McCoist added. "I'd settle for that."

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/r...-be-promoted/?

Keith Downie ‏@STVkeith

McCoist accuses Stewart Regan of hypocrisy by using the term "sporting integrity". #Rangers

Forget integrity for a moment.

From what I've read (linked via twitter), SFL rules state that we have to be promoted in the event of league reconstruction. Precendent has been set from the mid-90's with the creation of the SPL.

Forget integrity for a moment.

From what I've read (linked via twitter), SFL rules state that we have to be promoted in the event of league reconstruction. Precendent has been set from the mid-90's with the creation of the SPL.

Technically we are: we are being promoted from the 4th tier to the 3rd tier

Reconstruction? You betcha.

Yeah, the most rational route would be to sit down at the end of this season and plan to restructure for 2014-2015.

I like the 14 - 14 - 14 idea.

Although the real solution would be to stick a bottle of spirit on the table and not leave Hampden until half of our professional teams are merged.

How can you be "promoted" and still be playing the lowest ranked teams? Seems like and oxymoron to me. It's like being given a "promotion" at work where you earn no more money and have no more responsibility but your designation is changed to something fancier. Imagine getting that when you had already qualified for a real promotion...