Green will speak soon...

Great post Cal, only thing I will say is its very hard for people to like you when you are at the top looking down the green eyed monster appears and that has been our problem, yes we have been a touch arrogant with it but the same rule applies when your at the top everybody is there to take potshots at you.

Thanks. That is probably the hardest part of the objective. How do you remain the best AND popular or at least well respected? Well, lots of people have achieved it to a certain extent.

Examples are the likes of Alan Sugar who is even on television highly criticising people, but he still receives an amazing amount of respect and is very well liked.

Simon Cowell can be a bit of a hate figure who is scathing of people but still is the one everyone listens to and is the box office draw - he carries a lot of clout. However you can imagine if he had his fortune and living taken away, declared bankrupt, and somehow had entertainment industry sanctions against him, he might be in the same position as us.

In sport (albeit a less parochial one) there is Roger Federer who has been number one for most of a decade but is highly popular with most tennis fans as well as his fellow competitors. He is incredibly competitive and has drive and determination to win, but he doesn't come across as arrogant in the slightest. While Murray is immensely popular in the UK mainly just due to his nationality and the craving for a British, world class tennis hero, still has a large proportion of people from his own country who struggle to like him.

I really don't know how Celtic do it but they seem to have a strategy that mesmerises the rest of the clubs into a dumb stupor. They should be the hated ones for all the real reasons as their fans sing hate songs about our country and they claim to be from another and glorify terrorists who murder our citizens and defile our war dead, while we stand for Scottishness and Britishness and support our armed forces. Somehow they manage to turn it around while we put our proverbial foot in our collective mouths time and again.

Most of us aren't bigots or Irish/Catholic bashers but that's how we are seen. It's time to change that dramatically and to stand for the good things we believe in that doesn't offend others. They still may not like us but at least they will have nothing tangible to hate us for.

Although I will agree that when we get back to the top we have to learn from the lessons of the past and try and be a custodian of Scottish Football instead of sitting on high and casting judgement.

That is something we really need to do. Celtic go on and on about doing what's right for Celtic - how narrow minded, self centered and narcissistic is that? When you're at the top you have at least appear benevolent, caring and interested in everyone else's well being. I think that's what the likes of Lord Sugar excel at.

We have to drop our silly superciliousness and lack of respect for the "diddy" teams and treat them more like we're a kind, well off benefactor giving them a hand up not as a hand out, but sending a bit of good business their way and sharing some of the gravy at the top table.

As for the PR war we haven't taken part in this for more years than I can remember, its going to be a long slow climb back, it took Celtic a long time to get where they are and that was without us running interference it will take us twice as long because we have to battle their propaganda on the way. All we can do is just slowly and methodically chip away at it and eventually the tide will turn.

Can't disagree with that and when you're put on the floor, you initially have to come back up fighting fiercely. Maybe the time is not yet right to show the mellower side. You have to scrap when you're at the bottom, but it's a different strategy the further towards the top you go, hence the invention of diplomacy by Kings of the past.

22 of the 29 voting SFL clubs have to agree. Or so the press told us.

I think it's not at all impossible to prevent 8 clubs from voting yes is it. Maybe Traynor and Rangers realyy need to rally against the proposal, see where it gets us.

2 great but different conversations going on here. Amms posts have made me a lot more positive about it all. I have no understanding of business and PR and hadn't considered his take on it, but he backs it up with good points.

On the other, related conversation, about winning hearts and minds. Well we're the Man U of Scotland (or they;re the Rangers of England). We are the biggest. We are the best. It's just not very British to like people (or teams) who are overly successful. Particularly when our success means we deny all others it. Therefore I don't believe we can ever become truly popular out with our own support. Fortunately our support is the biggest in the country.

Congratulations! You are the second muppet to be added to the prestigious Cotter ignore list. Only those with absolutely NOTHING constructive to say are allowed in. Cheerio laddie, I dread having to read your quotes in the posts of others in future.

I'm devastated.......

2 great but different conversations going on here. Amms posts have made me a lot more positive about it all. I have no understanding of business and PR and hadn't considered his take on it, but he backs it up with good points.

On the other, related conversation, about winning hearts and minds. Well we're the Man U of Scotland (or they;re the Rangers of England). We are the biggest. We are the best. It's just not very British to like people (or teams) who are overly successful. Particularly when our success means we deny all others it. Therefore I don't believe we can ever become truly popular out with our own support. Fortunately our support is the biggest in the country.

thats obviously not true right now.

thats obviously not true right now.

We're not the best right now. I think you're the only one on here who would argue we are not the biggest. But even if we ignore that last point we are the most successful club in the country and therefore we are never going to be liked by the rest of Scottish football. So I think it would a fool's errand trying to earn their affection. If we don't have their respect now, we never will and should carry on doing things correctly regardless of their views.

I can only speak for myself, but I've never taken great interest in what people or organisations outwith Rangers said/ thought about my great club and certainly this is not the time for me to start doing so. We have to go the way the club, Green and the board feel is sensible and reasonable, communicating it to the ones who despise us is really secondary.

We're not the best right now. I think you're the only one on here who would argue we are not the biggest. But even if we ignore that last point we are the most successful club in the country and therefore we are never going to be liked by the rest of Scottish football. So I think it would a fool's errand trying to earn their affection. If we don't have their respect now, we never will and should carry on doing things correctly regardless of their views.

we're the biggest in scotland right now in terms of attendances & tv viewing figures