Neil Alexander rejects new contract

But I thought I was agreeing with you...

520k a year for two years is too much for me, and obviously for Green too so no need to contact him. I'm finding your viewpoint quite confusing and you haven't answered the points I made.

You seem to be following the strange fashion for thinking of "pay them what they want" because it's not directly coming out of your bank account. I'm sure you are different when it comes to a quote for your kitchen, bathroom or MOT.

Actually in life, most people expect their wages to rise, as they gain more experience. A keeper of his standard, well yeah £10K is around average (not arguing about ridiculousness of football salaries as a whole). It's not HIS fault we are in div 3. Nothing has been said about the money, in fact, I believe it is slightly lower than his current contract. He just wants a longer term. Maybe he will say yes to 2 years on 5k a week instead of 1 year at 10k?

Relying on a sun story though, we should all know better than this. Rangers have OFFERED him £10k a week for a year, he isn't sure as he wants a two year deal. I'm not sure I've seen it mentioned where he said he wants £10K for that term. I'd rather wait and see, than speculate he is a money grabber. He's done us a great service, it would be a shame to judge him on a story in a paper notorious for making shit up.

No directly attributable quotes so not overly worried about this being anything other than a normal negotiation process. i.e. a game of offer, counter-offer, bluff and double-bluff.

However, I would would be absolutely astonished if Alexander rejected our final offer if he is indeed on £10k-12k per week. Where else is he going to get anything like that kind of money? It would be a massive gamble on his part to assume that he would.

No directly attributable quotes so not overly worried about this being anything other than a normal negotiation process. i.e. a game of offer, counter-offer, bluff and double-bluff.

However, I would would be absolutely astonished if Alexander rejected our final offer if he is indeed on £10k-12k per week. Where else is he going to get anything like that kind of money? It would be a massive gamble on his part to assume that he would.

England no bother I reckon.

Actually in life, most people expect their wages to rise, as they gain more experience.

That only works if you become a more valuable employee and also if your company is doing ok. Footballers start to get worse with age at a certain point. Contracting is different from a salary where you get a wage increase as part of your permanent contract.

I've been top of my scale for about 8 years and so have not been rewarded for my experience. Due to inflation this year I'm having something like an effective 5% pay cut. You have to live in the reality of the business your in.

But the point stands that he can ask for anything he likes, I just find it strange when those who indirectly pay for the fantastic wages are still rooting for them in the negotiations.

A keeper of his standard, well yeah £10K is around average (not arguing about ridiculousness of football salaries as a whole).

Average wage for a top class keeper in Scotland? Hmm. He must be worth it this year as he's been offered it, the question is: is he worth it next year. We don't know the ins and outs but from the information we're being fed, the sticking point appears to be the second year. We're not sure whether he's been offered a deal on that at all or whether the offer for the second year is too low for him.

It's not HIS fault we are in div 3. Nothing has been said about the money, in fact, I believe it is slightly lower than his current contract. He just wants a longer term.

That may be the case if we'd not offered him anything for the second year.

Maybe he will say yes to 2 years on 5k a week instead of 1 year at 10k?

I very much doubt that, at best he'd make a tiny bit more than for one year due to tax differences. I would guess he wants a two year deal at the current rate and thinks he may be able to get that elsewhere. Next year may be more difficult for him to get a new contract so I can see that point and nobody likes a one year contract as you can't plan.

Relying on a sun story though, we should all know better than this. Rangers have OFFERED him £10k a week for a year, he isn't sure as he wants a two year deal. I'm not sure I've seen it mentioned where he said he wants £10K for that term. I'd rather wait and see, than speculate he is a money grabber. He's done us a great service, it would be a shame to judge him on a story in a paper notorious for making shit up.

I'm not saying he's a money grabber, my point is that we shouldn't be feeling sorry for every player who rejects what to us is a huge contract.

As I've said a few times, it's like feeling sorry for a top class plumber who wants an arm and a leg to fix your pipes.