David Templeton: If I help put Gers back on top Iâ??ll be an Ibrox legend

DAVID TEMPLETON knows most people thought he was CRAZY to drop down to the Third Division.

Clubs down south had the winger on their radar.

Yet Templeton opted to join Rangers and heâ??s in no doubt he made the right choice.

The 23-year-old is firing on all cylinders after a spell crocked on the sidelines and he is loving every minute of life as a Ger.

He said: â??A lot of people might have thought I would go to England, but everyone knows the size of Rangers.

â??You canâ??t say no. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity so I had to take it. I have no regrets at all.

â??You see the fan base and just how big the club is. The facilities at Murray Park are fantastic too â?? all these things made me want to sign. Itâ??s all about trying to get Rangers back to the top and if I can help do that then you are known as a legend right away.

â??I want to be part of that. Itâ??s a great experience for me.

â??I knew everything that was going on behind the scenes at Hearts. That was difficult so it helped my decision. It has been unbelievable so far. The crowds have been amazing. Hopefully, we will get up this year and then start moving through the leagues.

â??No one told me not to come here. When I heard what was happening, I spoke to Lee Wallace and Ian Black and they had only good things to say about the club.â?

Templeton signed on transfer deadline day and was hoping that Jambos team-mate Ryan McGowan would join him.

The Aussie full back knocked Gers back as he didnâ??t want to play in the bottom league.

Templeton recalled: â??We were both coming up from Liverpool when we found out what was happening. I spoke to Ryan and then saw him that night at Murray Park. It wasnâ??t right for him but it was for me. Iâ??m not sure why Ryan felt that way. I think it was maybe because he was in his international squad and felt going to the Third Division might affect that.

â??I think that was the main reason and that he felt a bit rushed by it.â? Templeton has been particularly blown away by the Gers support when some, including gaffer Ally McCoist, felt the novelty value would wear off.

He said: â??I knew a lot of people who are Rangers fans and knew what the club was about but it is still surprising to see the numbers that turn up.

â??We are getting 50,000 every week and that is unbelievable in the Third Division.

â??The fans have been incredible since I have been here and hopefully it will stay like that for the rest of the season.

â??To get 42,000 for the Annan match in midweek, when people are working the next day, was scary. I was delighted to score in that game.â?

While Templeton is now finding his feet with seven goals already this season, he took time to sympathise with his old Hearts team-mates who have been worrying about getting their wages at the cash-stricken Gorgie club. Templeton said: â??Itâ??s obviously good not having to worry. I feel for the Hearts boys because I know what itâ??s like. Coming up to Christmas, itâ??s difficult. We endured it last year and it was very hard.

â??I do feel for them but I am at Rangers now.

â??I am enjoying my football and everything is good behind the scenes.â?

Templeton set up three of Gersâ?? goals in the 6-2 win at Elgin to add to the two he scored in the 3-0 home win over Annan last midweek. The perfectionist says there is more to come as he battles his way back from ankle ligament damage. He said: â??I still donâ??t feel 100 per cent or as sharp as I should be. Hopefully that will come with the more games I play and Iâ??ll soon be back to my best.

â??Itâ??s obviously good to help the team by setting up three goals but I feel my decision making could be better.â?

Templeton took a few hefty challenges in the game against Annan but shrugged it off.

He said: â??Itâ??s part and parcel of football. You have to expect it when you are winger. I have had it throughout my career.â?

Rangers aim to make it nine wins in a row in all competitions at home to Clyde today.

Templeton added: â??The last Clyde game was our first away win and we have kicked on.

â??It will be a tough game but we fancy our chances against anyone at Ibrox.â?

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4713534/David-Templeton-If-I-help-put-Gers-back-on-top-Ill-be-an-Ibrox-legend.html#ixzz2G8YZhNDP

DAVID TEMPLETON has urged pal Ryan McGowan to join him at Rangers in September.

The Hearts full-back knocked back a contract offer and is set to leave in the summer.

Aussie McGowan already turned down a joint move to Ibrox when Templeton signed on the transfer deadline day. Gers boss Ally McCoist is able to sign pre-contracts in January and have them fully registered when their transfer embargo is lifted in nine months.

Templeton is adamant McGowan should make the switch in Glasgow.

Templeton said: “I still text a few of the Hearts boys to see how things are going there.

“I was very good mates with Ryan McGowan and I keep in contact with him.

“I texted him the other day to ask him what was happening and to say I would like to see him here in September if he is still a Hearts player this summer.

“He just said he’d wait and see what happened.

“The manager didn’t put me up to it, it was just good-natured on my part.

“Ryan is a great player and I think he will be away from Hearts in January if I am honest.

“Maybe someone down south will take him as it seems Hearts are struggling and will look to offload a couple of boys.

“Obviously, I would love to see him here but I think he might move in January.

“I’m not sure how it works, but if Rangers can do a pre-contract then hopefully he will come here.”

Meanwhile, gaffer McCoist is taking nothing for granted against Clyde today.

He said: “We know what to expect but we have generally been happy with results and performances at home now and we want to keep that going.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4713649/Ryan-McGowans-Gers-Temptation.html#ixzz2G8aXL3hn

By far the best of our signings, and if he stays injury free we will have a quality player for the next 5 years who will probably earn legendary status in his own way for being part of this journey.

Probably our best winger since Neil McCann