I predict a riot - Green blasts United ticket sales plan

CHARLES GREEN has warned Dundee United they are risking a RIOT by selling tickets direct to Rangers fans.

United chairman Stephen Thompson has decided to make briefs available to Gers fans for the Scottish Cup fifth round tie in February.

But Green who refused an allocation, said: â??Weâ??re concerned Dundee United wonâ??t know who they are selling tickets to and how will they know if they are genuine Rangers fans or potential troublemakers?â?

Ibrox chief Green is worried thugs pretending to be Gers supporters could buy tickets direct from Tannadice after United announced their intention to make briefs available for away fans.

Rangers had asked not to be given an allocation for the tie after fans organised a boycott.

Green added: â??Football needs to be safe and there is no guarantee it will be.

â??It would not need a bright guy to tell you that there has been tension between Rangers and Dundee United for a number of years.

â??Weâ??ve taken a decision to defuse that tension. But the decision to sell tickets to people who may not be Rangers fans is taking it to a high level.

â??Iâ??m disappointed. I spoke to Stewart Regan about it the other day when the SFA asked my reasoning.

â??We have been very clear from day one, because of the fansâ?? issues with Dundee United we made the decision not to take tickets.

â??And we requested they did not make tickets available to Rangers fans.

â??There are a number of issues. Safety has to be paramount. We are very conscious of safety.

â??I would ask United to think again. The majority of Rangers fans said they did not want to go.

â??There will be a few who do and I can understand that.

â??But itâ??s foolish to try and bring in a few fans who might not be Rangers supporters â?? it could be any number of people who turn up with a red, white and blue scarf on.

â??Have I spoken to Dundee United about it yet? I donâ??t think anyone from the SPL is interested in speaking to me.â?

Green also claimed if United are desperate to sell out Tannadice he will take ALL the tickets and flog them to his own fans.

He said: â??People have said it wonâ??t look good to have a televised game with an empty stadium.

â??Give us all the tickets then. Letâ??s have no United fans at the game and weâ??ll fill the stadium.â?

Tannadice chairman Thompson declined to comment but the Arabs released a statement.

It read: â??While we remain disappointed with the position of Rangers in respect of not taking any tickets for this match, we will not make any statements which may inflame the situation, particularly to avoid encouraging any hostility between our two sets of supporters.â?

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4711260/I-predict-a-riot.html#ixzz2Fr3VBXwy

Desperate from Utd.

I used to buy Rangers end tickets from Pittodrie direct through a contact but a) he knew I was a Gers fan and b) there was no boycott so it was fine although I did get a few ugly looks in the ticket office getting the blue border tickets.

But this is different and any rangers fan entering the group (unless corporate) should obtain a ticket through the club which have refused.

Guest Bear Able
Green also claimed if United are desperate to sell out Tannadice he will take ALL the tickets and flog them to his own fans.

He said: â??People have said it wonâ??t look good to have a televised game with an empty stadium.

â??Give us all the tickets then. Letâ??s have no United fans at the game and weâ??ll fill the stadium

Very clever dig there at the negative effect empty seats would have on sponsorships and future tv contracts as far as Dundee United are concerned. And at the same time reminding the big sponsors just who the gaffer is when it comes to filling stadiums and generating a lucrative return for them.

Very clever dig there at the negative effect empty seats would have on sponsorships and future tv contracts as far as Dundee United are concerned. And at the same time reminding the big sponsors just who the gaffer is when it comes to filling stadiums and generating a lucrative return for them.

The thing with that quote is that every SPL game this season has been played in half empty stadiums,less than half in most!, even the piggery had about 20k yesterday despite their figures released as 49k!!!.

Also there is a real danger for the Rangers fans who do go to the game,which I think there will be a fair few,mixing with numpties who are not Rangers fans!.

P.S. welcome to gersnet.

Some Rangers fans want to go, ergo, the club should have taken tickets. Problem solved. That would be much less of a drama ofc, and we cant have that. It's Green that has put our support at risk, not DU. His dragging in of the charities to this mess is shameful.

Some Rangers fans want to go, ergo, the club should have taken tickets. Problem solved. That would be much less of a drama ofc, and we cant have that. It's Green that has put our support at risk, not DU. His dragging in of the charities to this mess is shameful.

He did what the majority wanted, accept it.

Typical of course you support a bunch of cunts that wanted our club dead to suit your Green hatred. And that's what it is, not vigilance, caution etc, it's pure and utter hatred.

Edited by simplythebest

He did what the majority wanted, accept it.

Typical of course you support a bunch of cunts that wanted our club dead to suit your Green hatred. And that's what it is, not vigilance, caution etc, it's pure and utter hatred.

lol, here we go again. I'm sure we've already had this argument. Maybe the majority did want a boycott, but a minority still want to just watch the team, and cant be arsed with stupid media games, that both sides are playing. Our club has a duty to provide tickets for the "minority" of our support that do want to go.

I'd ask you again just what exactly did DU do to deserve this hatred, but I think last time all you said was about the re-arranged ticket fiasco, years ago. It's just charlie scoring a cheap point because he knows it will only cost him a few grand. It will be a different story if there is a replay. Any trouble that is caused because we didnt take tickets, is on greens hands, not DU's.

The majority of fans do not want to go,the fans groups asked for a boycott and the club have backed the majority of the supporters request not to go,those who do go then do so against the wishes of the majority of fellow fans and the club and therefore do so at their own risk and are endangering themselves by going if Dundee Hibs sell to non Rangers fans. All just IMO of course.