Leggo Today - Jock Stein

I found it a bit low to be honest. We shouldn't worry about what Jock Stein did or didn't do. The book should be about celebrating the life and career of a Rangers legend and how he was so shabily treated by the club at the end of his time at Ibrox not about what the manager across the city was or wasn't doing.

Actually feel a little sorry for Leggo on this one, not read the book it's under the tree, but this the Tims doing their usual when anybody even comes close to besmirching the name of the Peado Harbourer.

TalkSport should've told them to do one and let the presenters tear Leggo a new one if they thought he was out of order.

stein was sleeping with several of his players wives, in fact he was having a long term affair with mrs deans. when he was involved in the car crash with a certain bookie, they had 2 hookers in the car with them and had to phone someone to come and pick the girls up before police arrived. he was a horrible man who would regularly allow his players to get so drunk they would not know what their other halves were upto!

I agree with your second paragraph, but what utter tosh your last paragraph is.

Ok, I'll bite - but be warned, this will be my only post on the matter. I just couldn't bring myself to get involved in a debate about how good Stein was.

The reasons why my second paragraph is far from being tosh are as follows: Get yerself a cuppa and prepare to learn a bit about fitba.

First, No comparison can be made with Stein and Struth. Struth won titles and cups domestically only and yes, you can only beat what's in front of you but he *was* leading the biggest and richest club in the country, with no great opposition to speak of; he never played in Europe and never managed anyone else.

We have no method for comparing Scottish football to that of other countries during Struth's time - although it is interesting to note that immediately after Struth's time, Scotland and England got given a right doing whenever they played teams from other countries. I have no reason to believe that Scotland turned from world beaters into mince overnight; so I have to think that we were mince compared to other countries during Struth's time as well.

But it's all speculation. Therefore, m'lud, I would move to strike the prosecution's reference to Mr Struth as being inadmissible.

The same cannot be said for Stein's time.

Stein assembled a team which had to face a Rangers side which would, in any other era, have gone down as legends - and beat them for 9 straight season's. This Rangers team had the likes of Baxter, Henderson and Greig playing for us and enjoyed unparalleled European success. Had the present day Champions League been in existence, there is no doubt that we would have frequently featured in the latter stages. The Rangers team of the 60s was an excellent team by any standards.

As for Fergie, given the wealth at his disposal, Ferguson has won far fewer European cups than he should have and his European performances should have been better than they were. Stein in 9 years reached two European Cup finals; Ferguson, despite having vastly more resources available, has reached 3 in 27 years. I'm sympathetic to the case for Fergie being the greatest ever, but I still think Stein edges it, considering he did far more with far less in a much shorter time.

Stein's other clubs were Dunfermline - where he won the Scottish Cup and Hibs, where he was so successful (taking them from fighting relegation to fighting for the title) he landed the second biggest job in Scottish football. He spent something like a month and a half at Leeds if memory serves, so I'd say we can ignore that one. Unlike fergie who took forever to get going, Stein hit the ground running and only got faster.

And if your case against Stein rests on the Scotland team, well let's just call a duck a dog and try to milk it.

in 82 we went out on goal difference after Alan Hansen and Willie Miller got involved in a cock-up worse than the Darien Project. Without that piece of schoolboy football, we qualify for the second round for the first and last time. Stein did his job in getting us to the point where H&M could screw it up.

Stein was indeed, in charge of some very good players (and where did they come from?) but apart from Jimmy Johnston, none were brilliant. A few were excellent, Lennox and McNeil for example, but the others were nothing more than good to very good. So what - or rather who- made them such a great team?

The defense rests - but if you find my client guilty, I'm not too bothered, tbh :)

Just a lot of self- important drivel and shite like that.

I mean what's the point really. I always thought talking about managers, players, supporters and everything else of another club was the speciality of the hooped horrors. Comparing two managers based on their way of life, what a waste of time that is.

Rangers supporters can take their revenge and they can make the true story of just what sort of man Jock Stein really was, become known to a million men and women throughout the world.

Jesus why would anybody care. Like exposing Jock Steins true self is the main priority in one of the club history's craziest times.

Rangers can do without leggo!

Edited by DUDE