Leggo Today - Jock Stein

I feel sorry that leggat is associated with Rangers. What a rancid little man he is!

Who gives a toss if Stein was a womaniser or a gambler? I mean, seriously. Is there any one in this forum that feels they can start pointing fingers at the 'moral' behaviour or misbehaviour of others?

He was Scotland's finest ever manager - Ferguson included imho - in charge of Scotland's finest ever team. Let's get over it. After all, we're proving right now who Scotland's finest ever fans are; we don't need to have anything to do with gutter writing like this.

FFS.

I feel sorry that leggat is associated with Rangers. What a rancid little man he is!

Who gives a toss if Stein was a womaniser or a gambler? I mean, seriously. Is there any one in this forum that feels they can start pointing fingers at the 'moral' behaviour or misbehaviour of others?

He was Scotland's finest ever manager - Ferguson included imho - in charge of Scotland's finest ever team. Let's get over it. After all, we're proving right now who Scotland's finest ever fans are; we don't need to have anything to do with gutter writing like this.

FFS.

Got to agree regarding this article of Leggo's. Seems like he's deliberately trolling.

Having said that, I hope Tommo is paying attention to the fact that Leggat's radio slot got pulled due to Timmy's ire. Threatening behaviour?

Edited by Thinker

FFS.

I agree with your second paragraph, but what utter tosh your last paragraph is. While it is clearly a matter for debate and you have the right to believe what you like about Stein's managerial abilities, there can be very little argument made to try to compare Stein with Struth, who in the pre-European stage built teams that won numerous titles and cups. Ferguson with his 2 Euro Cups, 2 CWC, 2 Super Cups, Intercontinental, World Club cup, 16 domestic titles and 14 domestic cups is also miles ahead of Stein's trophy haul.

It is worth remembering that Stein was not very successful at any of his other clubs or the Scotland job. His only trophy outside celtic was the Scottish cup win with Dunfermilne in 1961, so that is hardly the stuff of legend. His Scotland career is also very mixed. Qualifying for the 1982 WC was the obvious highlight, but the failure to get through the group was poor, as was his attempts to qualify for the 1980 Euros (4th out of 5 in the group) or the 1984 Euros (bottom of 4 team group). As for his record in the home internationals, 1 win and 2 bottom places in 6 attempts is hardly anything to write about either.

The argument can be easily made that Stein steered a very good group of players at celtic during his tenure, not that he was the important factor in it.

Best Scottish manager ever, not a chance. I would have Struth, Shankly & Ferguson miles ahead of him, not even close.

Guest mccoist9

I agree.

I bought the book because I thought that it would delve a bit deeper into Scot Symon's time with our club but it was ruined by the stuff written about Stein.

I agree that outwith our own support Symon's achievements don't necessarily get the credit that they deserve - taking over from Struth must have been akin to taking over from Sir Alex Ferguson today yet he built arguably the finest team in our history and took us to two European finals - but why this guy had to use Stein's off-field activities to try and get this recognition is baffling.