John Greig back tomorrow

JOHN GREIG is set for an emotional return to Ibrox today.

The Greatest Ever Ranger quit the Gers board in disgust last October.

The 70-year-old claimed heâ??d been frozen out by disgraced former owner Craig Whyte.

But the Ibrox legend â?? who made a staggering 755 appearances for Rangers â?? returns today as the club celebrates 140 years of history against Stirling Albion.

And last night Gers boss Ally McCoist spoke of his delight at Greigâ??s decision to return.

McCoist insisted: â??Heâ??s THE Greatest Ranger. Itâ??s as simple as that.

â??He was my gaffer. It means everything to have him back.

â??John is synonymous with the club, heâ??s part of the fabric and the history.

â??When you talk about our football club, you talk about John in the same breath.â?

Greig, who skippered Gers to European Cup Winners Cup glory in 1972, won five league titles, six Scottish Cups and four League Cups in an astonishing playing career that spanned 18 years.

He went on to manage Gers before being crowned the Greatest Ever Ranger in 1999.

But he left under a cloud last year fearing for the clubâ??s future under Whyte.

But McCoist believes his long-awaited return proves Rangers are headed in the right direction.

The Gers boss said: â??I think the fact heâ??s coming back is because John would probably say he can see that we are in a better place than we were six or eight months ago.

â??Johnâ??s a very intelligent man, so when he stepped away, I knew something wasnâ??t right.

â??I still speak to John on a regular basis.

â??Heâ??s been incredibly helpful and supportive to me as a player, assistant manager and as a manager.

â??But the one thing that Greigy will want to do is come back and say thank you to the fans as well and meet and greet the players he played with and who played under him.

â??So he would want to be part of this 140 years because as an individual, heâ??s been probably as responsible for a lot of our clubâ??s history than anybody.â?

Meanwhile, McCoist has BACKED the fansâ?? boycott of Dundee United.

Gers wonâ??t be taking up their ticket allocation for the Scottish Cup clash in February.

And last night McCoist said: â??The club have taken a stance and I fully support it. Now, as manager of the club, it is far from an ideal situation.

â??In an ideal world, we would be going up there with a big support to back the team.

â??But I fully support the fans on this one.â?