Rangers v Stirling Albion under 4000 tickets remaining

of FF

To celebrate our 140th year.

Over the last few years the research into the lives of the kids who formed our Club ,and the many others who played a vital role in establishing the Rangers, has left us at times with a sense of astonishment.

What follows is such a tale.

John and Jean McNeil had nine children.

Four boys who all played for the Rangers:

Moses

Peter

William

Harry

They had a further three sons who careers lay in other fields

John

James

Alexander

And two daughters Elizabeth and Isabella.

I was contacted recently by Rangers Historian David Mason who told me that he believed that there may be a lady who had a connection of sorts with Moses McNeil. David had worked with her son a number of years ago.

I got her contact details, and very nervously rang her. Incredibly within a couple of days we found ourselves sitting in her Glasgow home for what was a jaw-dropping experience.

In Mrs. Pirie's own words.

'' I can vividly recall travelling from our home in Prestwick with my mother and aunt to visit Uncle Moses in Clynder. We would take the train to Helensburgh and then a small boat across the Loch to Clynder and walk from there along the coast to his home where we'd spend many a weekend.He was a happy, kind man who would often take me for walks around the Village and down to the local shops''.

Research has established that Moses brother James McNeil listed above is Mrs Pirie's Grandfather and Moses Brother.

James was very successful in the Drapery and Lace trade . He worked for Stewart and McDonald who's premises is now Frasers of Buchanan Street.

He's buried at Craigton Cemetery alongside his parents, and brothers Peter, William and Alexander which Mrs.Pire didn't know about.

Yesterday afternoon myself and my colleague Gordon took Mrs. Pirie around the Founders Trail by car where we visited many locations including four homes where her Grandfather lived. She visited Craigton and paid her respects at her Grandfathers and Great Uncle's final resting place.

Mrs.Pirie has received a formal invitation from the Club to join the celebrations at Ibrox on Saturday , she'll take her place with her son and daughter in the Directors Box