Souey: I wish Iâ??d bought Gers

GRAEME SOUNESS admitted last night heâ??ll forever regret not buying Rangers.

The Ibrox legend was part of Sale Sharks owner Brian Kennedyâ??s consortium that battled with Charles Green.

Even when Kennedy walked away, Yorkshire businessman Green offered Souness the chance to join the new regime. But Souness turned him down and he admits it haunts him he didnâ??t get the Ibrox keys.

He said: â??Yes, itâ??s a regret. Brian was only going to get involved if he felt it was the right deal for Rangers. In the end that turned out not to be the case.

â??He was asked to go out on a limb in a few areas and in the end he didnâ??t think that was the right thing.

â??Charles Green has taken that on and we all wish him the best.â?

Despite liquidation and beginning their life in the Third Division, Souness insisted it WOULDNâ??T have been a gamble ploughing cash into the club he loves.

He said: â??My attitude was the club needs Rangers people running it. I would have done it for nothing. I felt we were going to do it for the right reasons.

â??It wasnâ??t going to be overnight, just like it wonâ??t be for Charles and Ally McCoist now. But weâ??d have got it back to where it should be.

â??Whatâ??s happened is something I could never have imagined, but weâ??re there now and we just need to deal with it.

â??All we can do is keep our head down and accept the criticism and humour coming from the east end of the city.

â??Itâ??s the cards weâ??ve been dealt. Now we have to roll our sleeves up and get on with it.â?

On the same day Souey backed Joe Jordan for the Scotland job, the former Rangers, Liverpool and Newcastle manager ruled himself OUT of taking over from Craig Levein.

The Sky Sports pundit admitted: â??Itâ??s not for me any more. Iâ??ve got a wonderful life with what I do.

â??I only have to worry about whether Iâ??ve got enough make-up on for the cameras!

â??I donâ??t see myself going back any time soon.

â??Johnny Giles said to me, after I got sacked at Newcastle, that for two years Iâ??d be hankering to get back. After that it goes. And thatâ??s what happened.

â??Every job, for two years, I was wondering if I should put myself in the frame. But after two years it goes.

â??Itâ??s a different game. Today you are the boss in name only. I donâ??t think Iâ??m best suited for it.

â??Successful ones like Sir Alex Ferguson have evolved, to his great credit, but itâ??s not for me now.â?

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4640952/Souey-I-wish-Id-bought-Gers.html#ixzz2C3b9JnRm

Guest Smug Bluenose

But what's stopping him investing along with Green ? Walter wanted to buy Green out initially, but now trusts him enough to work with him. If it's good enough for Walter, then surely it's good enough for Souness to accept Green's offer to come on board ?

With Walter there is there a need or a space for Souness? Is there an offer?

As for investing, Souness may be a multi-millionaire but that doesn't give him spare millions to put into the club that he'll unlikely see again. You really need to be worth something like £50m or more to be comfortable throwing a couple of million at a club.