SPL, Hearts and Armageddon

This may be undignified... but.... Fuck em.

I have a Jambo supporting friend who completely wallowed in our travesty. Not only that but kept harping on about Sporting Integrity being intact all summer long. And I know for sure he is far from the only Jambo who feels this way.

They wanted us dead. No two ways about it. Now, do I wish them dead ? No, of course I dont. Will I lose sleep over their plight the way I lost sleep over ours ? Not a chance. Will I be upset if they go to the wall ? Nope, not my concern.

It may be harsh and it may not be the dignity that we expect of Rangers fans. But having spent 6 months of watching ALL of the SPL clubs put the boot into us I will not be concerned about any of them going to the wall.

Yes, there may be repercussions for us but Charles Green seems to be running a steady ship at present which should see us sail calm waters even in the event that a team like Hearts go under.

I feel for their fans. But tough.

Firstly, I thought the Premier League was invented as the league WASN'T competitive enough?

Secondly, you're talking about times when no country had TV money and teams shared gates.

What do you do when Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Man Utd keep their gate money and have huge TV incomes? Do you really think reducing our own income will help against them?

Celtic have had a good run this year and we had one when we got to the final; it does happen now and again as you say. But would those runs would have happened if you removed 30% - 40% of the club's income?

They've already done it against big odds so I severely doubt it.

Interesting points. Firstly the SPL was set up so the bigger clubs could get more money, whatever else they might have claimed that was the reason.

I think it is more important for us to have a stronger league than for us to have a bigger budget. The late Smith/Advocaat years were a time when Rangers were able to compete with almost everyone for players, we had some seriously talented payers and two very good managers, but were we competitive? The problem was we still played a shit Thistle side on the Saturday before playing Juventus in the CL. If we were playing against better teams more regularly we would be a better team.

The gap between Scotland and the 'big' leagues is growing, you are correct. That will make competing very difficult, no matter our budget, I believe a stronger league will help that, but it might not be enough.

I think it is more important for us to have a stronger league than for us to have a bigger budget.

Sorry for chopping up your original post amms, but the Spanish league does ok without a strong league and a bigger budget for Barca & Real.

I know you're saying for 'us' but the problem is in front of most football nations not just 'us'

Fat Cowans' take on Hearts Situation:

Hearts could pay off debt if Salmond gave up curries for a week

10 Nov 2012 09:04

VLADIMIR ROMANOV can't blame the club's current predicament on referees but the 100,000 Hearts fans who lined Edinburgh after the Scottish Cup win have been urged to fork out a fiver each to save their team.

GOOD to know my Jambo pals have somehow managed to retain a sense of humour.

Phoned one of the boys in the Tynecastle media office yesterday and was greeted with the words: "Hello, crisis desk, how may you help us?"

But the thought of administration and a 17-point penalty in the SPL is no laughing matter. After all, that would mean it might be Christmas before they catch Dundee.

Hearts face a winding-up order from HMRC if they don't cough up £450,000 and I'm afraid Vladimir Romanov (last spotted at the Gorgie branch Cash Converters with the Scottish Cup tucked inside his coat) can't blame this one of the referee.

Still, fair play to him. When Romanov saw the tax man approaching, at least he didn't try to wash his hands of the matter by flogging the club for £1 to a complete chancer.

I actually think Hearts should go for the liquidation option and start a new life in Division Three.

Think about it.

You get great coverage of all your games in the papers, loads of matches are broadcast live on the telly…and you're allowed to blame everyone bar yourself for the club's demise.

I love the way the usual Rangers uppers and cheerleaders are using this as a perfect excuse for emergency league construction.

Please, guys, stop all the Lillian Gish about Hearts fans getting what they voted for.

Are you trying to tell us that if Rangers were still in the SPL, the Jambos wouldn't have any financial problems? Aye right.

I wish the Hearts fans all the very best and I'll happily help the club in any way possible.

Like the Rangers saga, you can't blame the fans for the shortcomings at boardroom level and, again like Rangers, you can bet it's the diehards who will pull their beloved team out of the brown stuff.

On that note, you don't need to be an accountant to work out that a measly fiver from the 100,000 Hearts fans who lined the streets of Edinburgh in May would pay off HMRC and keep the club solvent.

The Scottish Government is set to assist the Jambos in any way possible, so the bill could also be wiped out if lifelong Hearts fan Alex Salmond gave up curries for a week.

Other fundraising ideas?

What about a sponsored silence from Romanov? The whole of Scottish football would contribute.

Or how about a charity walk around wee John Robertson?

They could also organise a sweep. Punters pay £1 a pop and try to guess how many managers Hearts have sacked in the last 10 years.

I trust wealthy celebrity Hearts fans will be digging deep?

How much will Stephen Hendry, Ronnie Corbett, Ken Stott and Sir Chris Hoy chuck into the kitty?

Can't imagine the current Hearts players will want to donate. If they do, they'll pay the money late - just to see how Vlad likes it.

But I can think of one former Hearts player and manager who should have no problem giving something back to the club in its hour of need.

Yes, I understand Craig Levein has just come into a wee bit of money.

By the way, it might sound daft but I bet the Hibs fans will be only too happy to prevent the Jambos from going out of business.

Well, do you think they relish the prospect of never getting revenge?

Still, fair play to him. When Romanov saw the tax man approaching, at least he didn't try to wash his hands of the matter by flogging the club for £1 to a complete chancer.

I actually think Hearts should go for the liquidation option and start a new life in Division Three.

Think about it.

You get great coverage of all your games in the papers, loads of matches are broadcast live on the telly…and you're allowed to blame everyone bar yourself for the club's demise.

I love the way the usual Rangers uppers and cheerleaders are using this as a perfect excuse for emergency league construction.

Please, guys, stop all the Lillian Gish about Hearts fans getting what they voted for.

Are you trying to tell us that if Rangers were still in the SPL, the Jambos wouldn't have any financial problems? Aye right.

Comes across as the views of a rather bitter man IMHO.....

you're allowed to blame everyone bar yourself for the club's demise.

Obviously Cowan see's the Hearts situation differently, however below is a quote from Sergejus Fedotovas (from todays DR)

How did the club end up in this mess?

“It’s simple. Our budget for this year was for £6m income but there is £8m of costs. So there is a £2m difference.

I may be reading this wrong, but it implies that they knew there were costs of £8m, yet still budgeted for £6m - who's fault is that??

He goes on:

Should the club not have set the budget at £6m in and £6m out?

“The thing is, some contracts are longer and we can’t cut them without consequences. Correct me if I’m wrong but we were selling players but it’s not a supermarket.

“The transfer income has dropped in Scotland, that’s the reality. We have a different situation to a few years ago. We cannot expect that all our players will attract transfer revenue.”

Sounds like its a case of "it ain't our fault guv!!!"

Sorry for chopping up your original post amms, but the Spanish league does ok without a strong league and a bigger budget for Barca & Real.

I know you're saying for 'us' but the problem is in front of most football nations not just 'us'

Well it depends on your definition of 'ok' I suppose. On the pitch Spanish football is arguably the best in the world just now, it is enjoying a real golden generation. It is impossible to argue that Real Madrid and Barcelona aren't successful, they clearly are, and the league as a whole is still one of the best in the world.

However scratch below the surface of that and you'll find that almost every club in that league is basically bankrupt, the level of debt being carried by Spanish league clubs is breathtaking, it's surprising Craig Whyte hasn't moved there frankly. We're already seeing La Liga start to lose important players because of that, Valencia found their best players being picked off by Swansea in the summer, clubs below the big two can't afford to hold onto their players now, as such the quality of the league will soon start to drop and when that happens Real and Barca will start to lose ground also. They've benefited from the strength of La Liga as a whole over the last few seasons when money was no object to most of the teams in Spain. Already the other clubs in Spain are calling for fairer TV deals.