SPL, Hearts and Armageddon

Here's a thought that's completely out-of-the-blue, and there's almost certainly a barrier to it but...

Is there any possibility here for a merger/takeover? We buy Hearts out, get their players, get their place in the top tier (much as I'd hate to go back to the SPL and save their bacon), get back in Europe sooner rather than later.

I wouldn't wish it on any club, but if it did come to the point were they were going to disappear completely it would be better to salvage something.

A daft idea probably, so shoot away.

Here's a thought that's completely out-of-the-blue, and there's almost certainly a barrier to it but...

Is there any possibility here for a merger/takeover? We buy Hearts out, get their players, get their place in the top tier (much as I'd hate to go back to the SPL and save their bacon), get back in Europe sooner rather than later.

I wouldn't wish it on any club, but if it did come to the point were they were going to disappear completely it would be better to salvage something.

A daft idea probably, so shoot away.

Which bit of you, do you want me to shoot first. :D

Previously, I never really wanted to see a Scottish club go to the wall – including Celtic when they were minutes from going under.

Although there was the exception where Hearts tried to take over Hibs. I think one team in Edinburgh, if in the future they could garner support from all its citizens, could make a third force in Scottish football which raises the standard of the league. That can only be good for the Old firm in that it increases competition and also the amount of money coming into the game.

As a Rangers fan I would welcome a more competitive league with three teams as it has been shown to work in countries such as the Netherlands and Portugal. It means that instead of hoping your one rival slips up to a much smaller side there is real pressure to win big games – and if you slip up, there are two teams who can take advantage and so there is unlikely to be many walkover seasons when one team has a bad year or even just a bad run of results.

Celtic fans are of course the opposite where they want to reduce competition to a minimum so that they automatically win every year. It’s the only way they know.

Anyway that brings us to Hearts. If they go bust completely that leaves one Edinburgh side. In twenty years they could be drawing the combined crowds of both clubs at round 26k – add on some glory hunters and the prospect of actually be a force to be reckoned with and that could be boosted to £35k, making the gap between them and the Glasgow clubs very bridgeable on a good year.

Before I was ambivalent about such things as I never wanted to see a club go to the wall but that sentimentality has been removed by events and I now hope they do a Gretna. It could be good for the game in the long run.

This could open the way for a 16 or 18 team league as you would replace 4 big games for the OF to 6 big games with three teams playing each other twice each. That could also be a bigger draw for television which could concentrate on three teams with a big following, instead of only catering for two.

Edited by calscot