No quick way back to top flight for Rangers, says United chairman

We're on a sound financial footing (it seems) and can watch on from a safe distance how the league that hit the self-destruct button in summer self-destructs. IMHO it is no longer a question of if, but when. The Scum may survive with the CL money and boast of "a major profit" because of it (remember, it dwindled to a mere 180k last season), perhaps adding a few million if someone insane enough to meet their Wanyama valuation happens bye. But what good is that if the rest of their league falls apart?

I almost had to chuckle when spotting the SPL league table last week and the Perth Saints were the Scum's closest rivals. (No insult to the St. Johnstone, btw ...)

Just chuckled again when noting that Sky Sports Football HP has changed a wee bit (AFAIK), as they apparently merged the Scottish Premier and Football League into a Scottish Football link (cursor on navbar Football and check the pull-down Leagues & Competitions). So the SPL does no longer require, ahem, warrant its own direct link ...

Edited by der Berliner

Hearts in big trouble now & it appears Motherwell & Killie are the two supposedly considering leaving the SPL. SKY TV will be getting nervous about the poor viewing figures & clydesdale bank aren't renewing their sponsorship at the end of the season.

That's three clubs who may well decide enough is enough. When Doncaster joined as CEO three years ago it was to improve the SPL interms of sponsorships, revenues etc. He has failed miserably. The sensible club chairmen can see this now. The SPL is dead.

Scottish football needs a clearout at the SFA too

After reading the first sentence of the OP my words were 'thank goodness'.

The SPL chairmen and none more so than Thompson are so unprofessional and sneaky Ive went from the mindset 'not interested in anything they do' to 'if they go under they can only blame themselves and I might have a wry smile'.

I can really see 2 or 3 SPL clubs going towards bust and the restructure will be forced through on that basis - so obviously dirty! Then the SFL really need to stand up and take a grip of the situation and not bow down. As someone mention is there going to be a 5 team SPL league?

Its so obvious the SPL clubs thought the can live without us when they cant. Why do we constantly have to enter their thoughts? They all wanted to draw us in the cup competitions. Im delighted we got the home tie and its Inverness who we play in the League cup quarters. If we get past that then at least we dont have to make the journey to any of their grounds in the semi's

Hearts in big trouble now & it appears Motherwell & Killie are the two supposedly considering leaving the SPL. SKY TV will be getting nervous about the poor viewing figures & clydesdale bank aren't renewing their sponsorship at the end of the season.

That's three clubs who may well decide enough is enough. When Doncaster joined as CEO three years ago it was to improve the SPL interms of sponsorships, revenues etc. He has failed miserably. The sensible club chairmen can see this now. The SPL is dead.

Scottish football needs a clearout at the SFA too

Couldn't agree more. It's a car crash waiting to happen. The SPL chairmen voted for this and they are about to reap what they sowed.

Is this idiot oblivious to the real world ? look at the SPL today - Hearts are on the verge of meltdown, Motherwell & Killie would appear to be the 2 clubs on the verge of quiting the SPL ( mentioned in the full article not this one) and according to Leggo's sources SKY are considering binning Scottish football next summer ( presumably due to the abysmal viewing figures). It's biggest sponsor could walk away not to mention the fact that Clydesdale bank have already said they're quiting at the end of the season.

Yet this eejit thinks the SPL garden is rosy. Are Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Hibs & last but not least Ra Sellik planning a four team league by any chance ? that's the way it's beginning to look.

I hope so.

His team would get relegated from that as well and would,hopefully and finally,shut him up for good.

Be sceptical about SPL attendances too. Was talking to a St Mirren season ticket holder this morning who told me he got three FREE season tickets for U16's when he renewed his ticket at the start of the season. Presume this to overinflate attendances to hoodwink potential sponsors.

The End Game for the SPL is now in sight. Will it see out the season with 12 clubs ?

Whatever happens next I want Rangers to play a big part in rebuilding Scottish football in conjunction with the SFL. We need to bury the hatchet in one or two instances but it must be made clear that there are no places for Liewell, Petrie, Thompson and Doncaster & Regan. Believe me this is a critical period for Scottish football as a whole. Let us lead the way. We are Rangers.