What's going on with our merchandising?

To be fair a shirt and merchandise deal for a club the size of Rangers will take a bit of time to put in place. They only got the keys in June and a lot needed addressed first, I think it's a bit unfair to criticise Green or the club for not having an agreement in place by mid-October. Aside from the financial aspect of the deal and the design part both of which take a while to agree whoever gets the contract will have to be able to deliver, taking on a contract the size of Rangers will put pressure on anyones production capacity.

It's also not impossible that Green was playing games with bidding parties when he mentioned being close to signing a deal, we're still a contract worth having, that kind of public utterance might have spurred someone else into action.

You could well be right about Green playing games with the bidders. It's not the kind of way I like to see our club doing business mind you. To be fair and to hopefully get back on the intended topic. The shirt deal isn't the issue. I'm not too worried about it. Like you say it's expected to take time. It's also not losing the club money right now as we speak.

The sportsdirect deal is what I'm questioning. Does everyone here think it's looking like a good deal for the club so far? Am I missing something or is the only money from club merchandise being brought back into club coming via the megastore?

Personally I think having professional retailers running the club's retail is a good move. The costs involved in opening and running Rangers exclusive 'High Street' shops make no sense to me. Sports Direct are probably the largest currently, whether that makes them the best I'm not sure. Greaves Sports, the Glasgow based sports retailer, run the SRU shop at Murrayfield and are exclusive partners with the two Scottish professional rugby teams as well as Partick Thistle. The scale is obviously different but the concept is the same and most of the business is done online now too, they also manage that. I don't know the specifics of the deal but I'm happy with the thinking behind it.

For a long time I've been convinced the Tim's shops are a vanity project and must be losing them money. That one in Sauchiehall Street in particular must be killing them.

I agree with retail being run by pofessional retailers. I'm wondering how this compares to the JJB deal. We apparently have more freedom under the new deal. More freedom to do exactly as you're suggesting would lose us money.

Under the new deal a new company has been formed by the club and sportsdirect to run the megastore with 'most' of those profits going back into the club. The club as far as I'm aware doesn't get any further income from the deal. What about online sales? Since sportsdirect have plenty of experience with online sales. Why does the club have no online store at the moment?

While JJB were considered a club business partner, why would it appear, at least from looking at the club website, that sportsdiect aren't?

While JJB were considered a club business partner, why would it appear, at least from looking at the club website, that sportsdiect aren't?

Since it was taken in-house there's been various issues with the new club website and one of the major ones is that quite a lot of the content is not up to date. One example is youth team sections which still include players who've been released or in the case of the U17 section players who are still in that section despite having been promoted to our 1st team and reserve sides.

If you had to go through the whole site you would find a fair bit off stuff that really needs updated, so I think it's fair to assume that partner company information etc could well be amongst the "to do" list for the people at the club who are updating the site.

Regarding a shop or at least a link to a SportsDirect run online Rangers shop, it may well be that's also something on the "to do" list........