What's going on with our merchandising?

I'm not really interested in debating who would be the best choice as our shirt manufacturer. The reason I mentioned the shirt deal was to question if it's even the club who will negotiate and have the final say on that or any merchandising decisions.

Green made it look like ripping up the JJB deal was his choice and that he'd found us a better option. It's starting to look as though that may not have been the case at all. I would say it's within reason to speculate that his hand was forced by JJB's plumet to administration and with our merchandising deal up in the air he hastily negotiated a new deal with JJB's prospective buyer to ensure the continued operation of the Megastore.

How the deal pans out beyond that is anyone's guess.

It could possibly be that our new in-house website isn't up to speed, but it does look suspicious when they've found the time to remove JJB as an official club partner and sportsdirect.com who were their immediate and much trumpeted replacement don't get a mention.

At the same time though, it could well be that everything's in order and Ashley's involvement is limited, for the time being ay least, to keeping the megastore running with the rest open to negotiation.

What I would say though is that I'd be very surprised if we've been told the truth about these developments.

Puma looks good if your an athlete. Its them and Kappa who have tight tops.

Adidas is first choice by a country mile. I was in one of their stores yesterday and even their own designed shirts are well tidy, better than most teams shirts.

Umbro need to get a new design team in. Id rather to go Le coq sportif or dunlop than what they have been doing of late.

If we are serious about international branding and global positioning, there can only be one choice (of the brands mentioned) and that has to be Adidas. Right now, I can walk into any Nike store in South Africa and wipe my nose on the green and grey shirts hanging next to the Man U, Arsenal and Barca tops. Charles Green stated that any Rangers supporter world-wide should have access to the club's merchandise wherever we are based and although Puma would be a fair second choice, to me it is a long way behind Adidas.

To be fair a shirt and merchandise deal for a club the size of Rangers will take a bit of time to put in place. They only got the keys in June and a lot needed addressed first, I think it's a bit unfair to criticise Green or the club for not having an agreement in place by mid-October. Aside from the financial aspect of the deal and the design part both of which take a while to agree whoever gets the contract will have to be able to deliver, taking on a contract the size of Rangers will put pressure on anyones production capacity.

It's also not impossible that Green was playing games with bidding parties when he mentioned being close to signing a deal, we're still a contract worth having, that kind of public utterance might have spurred someone else into action.