Green apologises for Villa jibe

Villa were surprised late last week when a Charles Green took a swipe at the club.

Whilst admittedly bizarre and out of left field, Green did later apologise, as set out below, stating that he was aware of Villa's pedigree from a defeat of Sheffield Utd when he had worked there.

We are hoping that going forward Green will retreat to his day job and leave the cutting remarks for those standing on somewhat stronger footing.

Apology from Charles Green, Chief Executive of Rangers Football Club, to Aston Villa:-

"During a press briefing I was asked how I saw the future of football. I was explaining how I believed that the current situation where clubs in England are receiving massive revenues from television rights, yet remain behind the big clubs in England and Europe in terms of success in competition, is unlikely to continue forever. Some of my remarks were taken out of context and I apologise unreservedly to Aston Villa, whom I know full well to be a club with a proud history. I remember clearly - but not too fondly - them beating Sheffield Utd in the FA Cup when I was chief executive there."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2950395,00.html

Seems they don't want to accept the apology then, fine by me, they are useless anyway.

And apologised, he didn't write obscene graffiti on Villa Park so surely the graceful thing to do is just to accept the apology or at least let the situation (much of nothing) die out?

apologies are a sign of weakness. just dont make the mistakes! ;)

I actually replied with some sense over at the SkySport pages comments regarding this topic. Was not published for some reason though.*

Essentially, CG spoke from a business point of view - as I take it - and in that respect AV are useless. Getting 250m for winning nothing for years (if not decades), not competing in Europe or anywhere else of note ... while ManU getting not much more doing all the opposite. If anyone at Villa - be they fans or officials - had any sense, they would not say a word and hope that no-one notices.

*Actually, I did note that without Sky money the EPL would go bust (and it will, rest assured) and 75% of the teams would go to the wall in no-time. Silly me!