Last night may have forced Murray's hand

With Celtic winning last night - normally I'd be gutted (and I am to an extent obviously!). Celtic are now guaranteed at least £12million for their CL run as well as a minimum £6million next season that means they can possibly afford to spend up to £10million between now and the start of next season.

That could be considered very bad news for us and now, more than ever, David Murray has to think back to his boasts of years past and ensure that if they do spend serious money, we match it as best we can.

Right now we are struggling to be even 2nd best in Scotland. If we want to secure that and ensure a challenge against a resurgent Celtic, not only do we need investment of a worthy degree but a chairman who is up for the fight.

David Murray now faces his most difficult challenge since he came to the club. He suggests he's still the man for the job and obviously many, many fans still believe that. Thus, either he puts in the investment required or if he doesn't he will be forced out all the quicker.

The next 1-2 years will set the tone for the next 10-20. Will we be first or last?

Only one man can answer that question - hero or villian, Mr Murray - what's it to be?

Most probably mate but in the last couple of weeks we've seen how strong support for Murray is.

He promised us we'd never be 2nd to a Celtic side while he was in charge. Time for him to deliver on that promise or time for him to leave.

For those of us who question his commitment and love for the club, last night's result was arguably the best one in many ways.

Most probably mate but in the last couple of weeks we've seen how strong support for Murray is.

He promised us we'd never be 2nd to a Celtic side while he was in charge. Time for him to deliver on that promise or time for him to leave.

For those of us who question his commitment and love for the club, last night's result was arguably the best one in many ways.

aye, i know man, but i'm not sure what makes now different than, say, two days ago, or a month ago. we've been playing second fiddle to celtic for years now and he's managed to keep "us" all convinced that he's the right man for the job. i dont see that celtic getting through to the latter stages (and strengthening accordingly) is going to force his hand any more than finishing third in the league, or having the worst start to a league in 20 years.

even with these two things happening he's said he wont significantly strengthen, i dont see that celtic getting through to the final stages is going to force his hand.

as much is i would like to.

maybe i'm just too cynical. you're clearly right, in that if his promises were true, this would motivate him. but i dont see any reason as to why he'll do it this time ahead of any other time.

The difference is that even at the height of Celtic's UEFA run and high spending we were still winning stuff.

Now we're not and if the status quo remains there's nothing like 2 trophyless seasons to concentrate the mind.

The difference is that even at the height of Celtic's UEFA run and high spending we were still winning stuff.

Now we're not and if the status quo remains there's nothing like 2 trophyless seasons to concentrate the mind.

ah, but in murrayworld, do you not think that the "europe after christmas" and, perhaps, one cup win will constitute success in a rebuilding stage?

enough to convince himself and the fans that we're "going in the right direction" and the like.

if celtic strengthen in the summer and have total dominance next season the problem is just put off till next year, probably with a chairman-to-manager buck-passing. something like paul and mr murray agreeing by mutual consent that while he is a great manager, the spl is not for him, and leaving on those terms.

i dunno. i do see what you're saying, and i wish i could believe it would force his hand, but i just dont.

You could be right but another 2nd place (or worse) won't be enough for many of the fans who still sit on the fence when it comes to Murray.

Especially if they don't see us competing in the transfer market.

As I say, Murray bases his life on his ego. The bruise on that ego is getting bigger and blacker by the second.

You could be right but another 2nd place (or worse) won't be enough for many of the fans who still sit on the fence when it comes to Murray.

Especially if they don't see us competing in the transfer market.

As I say, Murray bases his life on his ego. The bruise on that ego is getting bigger and blacker by the second.

i've said before that the only way murray will turn us around is as a matter of pride. just reading an article from a while ago by spiers of all people who was, at his house, goading him about rangers then current goalkeeping crisis (charbonnier's injury), when he picked up the phone in the middle of the night grinning and called a top german goalkeeper saying that he had outlined terms and would be in contact with him soon. he ended up going one better and getting klos.

but there was an arrogance about him, and a passion. we seem still to have the arrogance but not the passion. perhaps when his ego gets sufficiently dented we'll see that return.

Yeah see what your saying chaps.

I also think its now a test for Paul Le Guen aswell as Murray. PLG will have surely witnessed Celtic's performance last night and surely he must know by now what Gers supporters demand.

Celtic play simple football with a simple formation. We really should be looking at there midfield and following suit. They had a balanced 4 in the middle and 2 up top.

So will Le Guen change his system or will he continue to persivear (sp) with it.

I kind of agree with Barry that if Murray's passion was as high as its ever been then Le Guen would have had more funds pre season. But i guess January and next summer will tell if he is prepared to release some cash or not.

Last night should force Murray's hand, but can anyone see him digging deep to pt some money back in? I can't. You're totally right though, Celtic are in danger of moving on to another level at this rate if they invest the money they make from this season's CL run. Worrying times.