An Elitist Appeal for Good Manners

There's a limited amount of space on here, if it's all used up with the kind of talk you can get elsewhere I can't see any reason for the people who pay for Gersnet to keep on paying. They'd be as well paying for FF or RM.

As dBerliner says, the report button could be worn out by now - but I don't see why I should hide behind mods or admin. I like Gersnet very much because it is different from the other sites I've used. But it's very hard to say to folks, 'look, this is quite a classy place. Not really looking for that sort of debate here' without hurting peoples' feelings.

Nevertheless. It is quite classy, certainly compared to other football sites I have seen, and it would be a real shame to see it dragged down to a slagging shop. Just about every thread is now spoiled (for me at least) by the same couple of posters saying the same things - but rather than just take it, as most boring middle aged people do, I feel like getting up and asking people to either behave a bit or piss off.

If they don't like that or me...that's life. I'm sure we will all get by, somehow.

If someone behaves in a way that makes me suspect his/him incentives on this board, I'll say so. I made it pretty clear that I respect nigh anyone's opinion on nigh any topic. If the same is not applied by other posters untowards me, I've learned to live with that. After all, I've been on FF for over 10 years and you do get a healthy amount of experience in this. Yet, if people do nothing but slate and slant Rangers people or boarders and do not much else, you openly wonder about these people's incentives. Likewise, I could simply hit the "report" button time and again, but I still think Gersnet is a place where you can talk as well, even if the topic is touchy and can easily end up with misunderstandings.

So you want good manners, then claim in the same post they must be Tims, and you don't see a problem with that? I came on this site because it wasn't crawling with the Mhanks and as far as I'm concerned it still isn't.

If questioning how my club is being run and the managers ability to take us forward makes me a Tim then I better start crossing myself because I will continue to question everything about my club. Sitting on our hands with our mouths shut got us in this mess in the first place and I won't let it happen again.

After the way the RTIDNI request for an Orange strip was greeted on here by some and the character assassination that followed, I doubt if this sites reputation is riding that high.

If you don't like a thread or what's being said it then don't read it, it's as simple as that.

I joined this site when RM had a down period, the fact i've continued to post shows that I enjoy it.

There does seem to be a bit of snobbery and over sensitive attitude in some quarters though. This period has been the most emotionally charged in our club's history (Ibrox disaster aside) so some standards dropping was surely inevitable? The likes of Cumbernauld Gers got banned after being too persistant with personal stuff so clearly there's still a determination to keep the 'classy' image.

I've no doubt i'll end up banned soon enough as i'm not part of the 'elitest' gang but i'll try and enjoy the discussion while I can.

So you want good manners, then claim in the same post they must be Tims, and you don't see a problem with that? I came on this site because it wasn't crawling with the Mhanks and as far as I'm concerned it still isn't.

If questioning how my club is being run and the managers ability to take us forward makes me a Tim then I better start crossing myself because I will continue to question everything about my club. Sitting on our hands with our mouths shut got us in this mess in the first place and I won't let it happen again.

After the way the RTIDNI request for an Orange strip was greeted on here by some and the character assassination that followed, I doubt if this sites reputation is riding that high.

If you don't like a thread or what's being said it then don't read it, it's as simple as that.

GA ... you are by a long distance not someone any of my remarks about being a Hooped Horror is aimed at. Is that plain enough now?

I joined this site when RM had a down period, the fact i've continued to post shows that I enjoy it.

There does seem to be a bit of snobbery and over sensitive attitude in some quarters though. This period has been the most emotionally charged in our club's history (Ibrox disaster aside) so some standards dropping was surely inevitable? The likes of Cumbernauld Gers got banned after being too persistant with personal stuff so clearly there's still a determination to keep the 'classy' image.

I've no doubt i'll end up banned soon enough as i'm not part of the 'elitest' gang but i'll try and enjoy the discussion while I can.

Why would you not be part of this 'elite'?

GA ... you are by a long distance not someone any of my remarks about being a Hooped Horror is aimed at. Is that plain enough now?

Didn't think it was mate, and I've a really good idea who they are aimed at rightly or wrongly, but this is one site where the sniff sniff isn't thrown about willy nilly and I hope it stays that way. Anyway enough of this falling out over Ally he will be gone into the history books long before any of us slip off into Blue Heaven and Rangers will still be here long after that.

Maybe I am too entrenched but I see neither the snobbery nor the over sensitive attitude you talk of. My issue is when every thread ends up getting polluted with the same stuff time and again. It is one thing to bash McCoist and, to be fair, given results it is actually warranted. But to turn every thread into a McCoist bashing session ruins the thread itself because it descends pretty quickly, much like a Kris Boyd thread used to. There is a reason that we have combined half a dozen threads into the "McCoist thread" - so as to keep the bashing contained in one place - and, by bashing, I mean that in BOTH directions i.e. for both the :basher: and :lover: sides of the debate). But when every single thread descends into the same place it gets tiresome.

Personally I dont expect standards to drop. Though it depends on what you are talking about. If you mean the tone, emotion, debate on the forum then I dont expect the standards to drop because a level of decorum is achievable for all of us even if we are emotionally charged.

Cumbernauld Gers was rightly banned and we all know that. And, you are right, it was to try to uphold the standards we expect of our posters. The personal insults and the manner in which he posted was unacceptable (funnily enough, I actually bought some memorabilia from him to help him out, but also as I wanted it for a gift - and he delivered it to my Mum's house and she found him a thoroughly nice person - but his posting manner on here didnt reflect that unfortunately). Daniel Amokachi was banned for similar reasons. All members should be reminded that this particular forum actually allow a lot of stuff to slip through as being on the border of unacceptable, we basically try to give as much slack as we can. But when someone gets a warning and doesnt heed it, they get a temporary ban, when that person comes back on within a day or two and continues the tirade despite warnings then we have no option but to permanently ban them... and even more so when said person had already been previously banned under a different username....

So, yes, you are right, we do try to hold our posters to a higher standard - and, thankfully, the VAST MAJORITY of our posters maintain those standards - some come from other forums and it takes them a while to find their feet regarding the expected posting etiquette, but we also try to allow for that.

We are by no means perfect and, indeed, I have had to apologise for swearing at someone just the other week as it was out of order and I have my share of arguments - but the manner in which we do so should be with respect and, for the most part, that is what happens here - thankfully. And all the members should take great credit for that. yes, things will get heated, but everyone can disagree with respect and decorum.

I am not sure why you feel you will get banned, and more strangely because you are not part of some "elitist gang" - I am completely confused with your statement STB. Who are this elitist gang you speak of and why do you feel you will be banned ? I find your posting style just fine. I may not agree with everything you post but I certainly also dont disagree with everything you post - but you do post with respect, from what I have seen, and that wont ever see you being banned from here. As for the elitist thing I have seen that said here a few times but it certainly isnt the case - we try to administer the forum with even-handed natures and there is no elitist aspect coming from the admin or mods either.

If you dont wish to mention the "elitist gang" in open forum I would certainly appreciate a PM so that we can discuss privately because I am disappointed that ANY of our members would think there are factions here between elitist and non-elitist.

I can handle there being groups in the :basher: and :lover: camps but I am perturbed by a perceived elitist group.

For everyone, this is an emotional time for the club, we ALL are aware of that. We ALL want just one thing... the BEST for our CLUB. It is that simple. We will agree along the way and we will disagree along the way on many, many things. But we can have those debates with respect, it costs us nothing. And we would all do well (me included) to remember that.