Cometh The Hour, Cometh The Man

October 5, 2012 · by billmcmurdo · in Uncategorized It is my understanding that David Longmuir spoke forcibly on behalf of Charles Green at the SFA judicial panel yesterday, where the Rangers CEO was cleared of disrepute charges.

Longmuir is proving to be a staunch defender of Rangers FC in the clubâ??s ongoing battles with the SFA and SPL.

This is not to talk up the â??bluenoseâ? credentials of David Longmuir but simply to point out that he is excellent at doing his job, a big part of which involves looking after the welfare of the Scottish Football Leagueâ??s member clubs.

Rangers fans are increasingly confident that David Longmuir is the kind of man they can trust to lead the league that Rangers belong to.

This confidence is not based on any perceived notion of partiality by David Longmuir but by a distinct sense of the manâ??s impartiality.

In other words, it is widely felt in footballing circles that David Longmuir would fight tooth and nail for each and every member club in the SFL â?? but would equally have no problem in administering punitive measures against any wrongdoing club.

He is a man, it would seem, perfectly suited to his position â?? a man that canâ??t be bought and a man who would not allow any particular leanings toward one team to sway him.

I can assure my readers that no genuine Rangers fan I know would be comfortable with a â??Rangers manâ? as head of any of the football authorities in Scotland if that manâ??s allegiance compromised his position. Rangers fans do not want favouritism â?? they want impartiality.

David Longmuir is the type of man Scottish football needs. He is capable, competent and thorough in his approach to his job.

Above all things, he commands respect â?? something so vital in the culture of dishonour that sadly predominates in the Scottish game right now.

The reconstruction of Scottish football is both inevitable and necessary. That David Longmuir is arguably the pivotal figure in this is no longer a matter of speculation.

To be blunt, there is no other man in our game right now who has the presence and the capability that David Longmuir has to lead Scottish football into a better future.

I believe that David Longmuir is aware of how important Rangers FC is to the game in Scotland but he is also capable of ensuring that this does not end up with Rangers unduly calling the shots or Celtic calling the shots.

Or the â??Old Firmâ? working as a cartel for that matter.

The ethos of Scottish football â?? sporting fairness â?? has been preserved in the Scottish Football League. Yes, our game needs the bigness of Rangers and Celtic playing on a bigger stage. But it is the honesty and vitality of our wee teams that keep the true spirit of Scottish football alive.

David Longmuir, perhaps more than anyone else in our game, understands the dynamics and scope of this spectrum and how to balance the small and the huge for maximum effect.

The machinations that took place to install Stewart Regan at the SFA and Neil Doncaster at the SPL are the matter of much speculation. But you canâ??t deny one glaring reality. Whoever recruited these men and for whatever reasons, their appointments have not benefited Scottish football.

Their tenures as head of the two bodies have been an unmitigated disaster to say the least.

But Scottish football need not look to the dubious places it did to source this gruesome twosome.

We have a man here in Scotland more than capable of providing the leadership our game so desperately needs.

That man is David Longmuir.

In my opinion, his is the safe pair of hands that Scottish footballâ??s future can be entrusted with.

I believe he can heal the rifts in our game and provide a stable platform for its future.

If you want real sporting integrity in Scottish football, let David Longmuir run it.

I donâ??t know what team David Longmuir supports but I donâ??t believe it matters.

He is a man fans of any team can trust.