No Surrender- Bill McMurdo

I was brought up on the fine old traditions of Rangers Football Club.

As a boy I spent many hours reading about the golden days of early Rangers history, reading about Bill Struth, Willie Waddell, Davie Meiklejohn, George Young and the like.

My favourite was Alan Morton and I was mesmerised by the big painting of him on the marble staircase at Ibrox, where his eyes seemed to follow you all the way up.

The Rangers character, regardless of which era you are in could be summed up in two words:

No surrender.

I was brought up believing and seeing for myself that Rangers never say die, never know they are beaten till the final whistle and resolve to win every game they play in.

As Ally McCoist would say in the 21st century, Rangers don't do walking away.

This never-say-die attitude must come to the fore more than ever in this present time. Enemies of Rangers, who took spiteful pleasure in kicking the club when it was at its lowest for 140 years, are still hovering, seeking to inflict any further damage they can.

According to one Rangers blog, who claim insider knowledge from a Harper McLeod employee, there is a conspiracy to fine Rangers upward of £10 million as a consequence of the investigation by Harper McLeod into Rangers' contractual dealings with players during the David Murray regime at Ibrox.

There is even an insinuation that the people chosen to form the tribunal which will pass down any punishment on Rangers, should they deem Rangers to be in breach of SPL rules, have been handpicked to deliver the crushing financial penalty. This tribunal will consist of Charles Flint QC and Nicholas Stewart QC, chaired by Lord Nimmo Smith.

Lord Nimmo Smith has "previous" in that it was he who chaired the SFA investigation into Rangers that led to a whopping fine and what is effectively an 18 month transfer embargo on the club.

Surely the fact that aspersions have been cast on the integrity of the whole process - Harper McLeod's dealings and relationship with Celtic have been well-documented - and now even fine upstanding men of the legal profession have had their honour and integrity brought into question, - means that there must be an urgent public inquiry held into the whole Rangers crisis.

We cannot, of course, expect this of the Mickey Mouse Scottish Government.

When high-level judges and Queen's Counsel can have their probity questioned in such a manner it is not indicative of moral corruption on their part but certainly a sign that there is something deeply rotten in the process.

Why would the SPL seek to inflict such a massive punishment on Rangers? For the simple reason that this organisation is itself teetering on the brink of insolvency, as apparently are some of its member clubs. The SPL needs Rangers money - in one way or another, they intend to get it.

It reminds you of the Shakespeare play Merchant of Venice, where the moneylender was determined to get his pound of flesh from a defaulting client.

The only difference is, last time I looked, it was the SPL that owed Rangers money.

Nevertheless, it is the Rangers-hating cabal of the SPL, headed up by Lawwell puppet Neil Doncaster, which is vigorously pursuing vengeance on Rangers. That this "vengeance" has a ker-ching sound to it will not surprise bluenoses.

The SPL need the Rangers pound, one way or another.

All of this is why Rangers - club and fans - must more than ever imbue the spiritof Rangers then, now and forever and never surrender to those haters and money-grabbers who want to milk the club as much as they can.

And Rangers must lead the way in delivering Scottish football from the corruption at its heart.

Funny thing about this 10 million is that they want to take Rangers prize money from them in order to get it "justly". But if they take Rangers prize money then surely the SPL themselves will be sued by all the other member clubs who would have seen their league position improved by a spot, thus ensuring more money.

The prize money itself should be a zero sum game - if they take Rangers prize money away from them for "cheating" then it means all other teams position is advanced, meaning more prize money to them and meaning the SPL still dont see any benefit from it.

I dont think they are thinking this through clearly, if indeed there is any truth to it.