Rhys McCabe might have left Rangers, but they have not left him

There's different ways of looking at it. D&P are largely to blame as well. They're the one's who instead of letting players go, even to the point of turning down offers, decided to negotiate with the players over wage cuts. They're the one's who dragged out the administration process to the point where if reports are to be believed they ended up selling to the fourth or fifth highest offer, because they opted for a preferred bidder route. They're the one's who said they wanted to go for a CVA, but insisted on a newco proposal from all bidders. They're the one's who sold the club to a late bidder with a CVA proposal that was destined to fail. They're the one's who sold the player registrations to said bidder as assets while claiming that the players had no option but to transfer over. What sort of adminstrator doesn't understand TUPE regulations? Seriously, you couldn't make it up.

Yes Green & co are largely to blame, but they were essentially dealing with a lot of logistics (not to mention all the other nonsense) over a very short timescale at the time of the takeover. They were dropped (albeit eagerly) right in at the deep end. More to the point (more than likely based largely on the advice of D&P) they appeared to be treating it like a simple takeover ...what could possibly go wrong?

Edited by UCF2008

If you look at it from the player's perspective, you've got all this going on. You finish the season without knowing if you'll have a job to come back to. No communication from the club. Just media specualtion to go on - something they were until then trying to avoid having to get their heads round. Will Rangers survive? SFA punishments with more crimes to answer for. What is a newco? Who are these people who've taken over? Can we trust them? What does this mean for the players? Why are the PFA saying the opposite to D&P about the transfer. What league are we going to be playing in? Why do they all hate us so much? Are any of them going to let us play football next season? What does this mean for my career? How will I pay the bills?

All these questions going round in their heads and the only correspondence they get from the club reads something like 'I now own you. You have 14 days to object to the transfer of your registration. By accepting your forthcoming wage you will waiver this right.'

It's easy to say that they're Rangers players who claim to love the club and should have stuck around ...at least to give us a transfer fee, but their human beings, not cattle. When you actually consider what they were dealing with their decision is regrettable, but it's also understandable.

This 'lack of communication' stuff is absolute nonsense for me. If they wanted to talk so badly were any of these guys or their agents at Ibrox banging down the office doors of Green, Malcolm Murray or McCoist even? Doesn't sound like it, and only a fool could claim there weren't huge issues being dealt with at that time that may be more urgent priority.

I fail to see any risk with TUPE to the players, they'd get paid their full salary otherwise it's invalid anyway, and the club being on it's knees we clearly weren't going to be holding out for unreasonable transfer fees

Nobody can convince me either that professional footballers suddenly became vigilant about identities of owners, they had no problem signing for David Murray and Craig Whyte, and they'd have had no problem signing for Charles Green like those who stayed did, it's excuses to cover up them chasing the greed route.

No sorry, i'm afraid none of it washes with me, McCabe and the rest can stick their excuses and never come near Ibrox ever again.

Edited by simplythebest

This 'lack of communication' stuff is absolute nonsense for me. If they wanted to talk so badly were any of these guys or their agents at Ibrox banging down the office doors of Green, Malcolm Murray or McCoist even? .

Absolutely spot on. The first thing I thought of after Naismith and Whittakers interview was why on earth werent they approaching CG!! Why should CG go to them! Do they feel they are bigger than CG and the club?? Those two had ego's which seemed to go higher than anything else to do with Rangers.

Absolutely spot on. The first thing I thought of after Naismith and Whittakers interview was why on earth werent they approaching CG!! Why should CG go to them! Do they feel they are bigger than CG and the club?? Those two had ego's which seemed to go higher than anything else to do with Rangers.

Pretty much it, thousands of folk probably go through the TUPE process every day and I doubt they all get personal visits from the people in charge, the players are like any other employees in such a process no matter how special they think they are, so if they wanted to talk so badly they should have pushed it.

I think some people let their views on these guys be sugar coated by their dislike/mistrust of Green, does anyone really think footballers don't lie about motivations to make themselves look better?

This 'lack of communication' stuff is absolute nonsense for me. If they wanted to talk so badly were any of these guys or their agents at Ibrox banging down the office doors of Green, Malcolm Murray or McCoist even? Doesn't sound like it, and only a fool could claim there weren't huge issues being dealt with at that time that may be more urgent priority.

I fail to see any risk with TUPE to the players, they'd get paid their full salary otherwise it's invalid anyway, and the club being on it's knees we clearly weren't going to be holding out for unreasonable transfer fees

Nobody can convince me either that professional footballers suddenly became vigilant about identities of owners, they had no problem signing for David Murray and Craig Whyte, and they'd have had no problem signing for Charles Green like those who stayed did, it's excuses to cover up them chasing the greed route.

No sorry, i'm afraid none of it washes with me, McCabe and the rest can stick their excuses and never come near Ibrox ever again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was it not some time after these players refused to TUPE that Ally McCoist refused to vouch for the new owners and recommend that fans buy season tickets? The reason I ask is that if the players consulted with Ally what do you think he would have told them at the time?

You say they would have been paid their full salary anyway. Did we have enough funds available to cover those wages? I'd assume your none the wiser than me on that one. We both know they weren't paid their full salary by the previous owner. What reason did they have to trust that the new owner was any different all things considered? Blind faith?

Like I said before, I agree that Green & co had a lot of other things to contend with in those initial days of the takeover. That doesn't change the fact that they failed to properly secure their investment though.

Pretty much it, thousands of folk probably go through the TUPE process every day and I doubt they all get personal visits from the people in charge, the players are like any other employees in such a process no matter how special they think they are, so if they wanted to talk so badly they should have pushed it.

I think some people let their views on these guys be sugar coated by their dislike/mistrust of Green, does anyone really think footballers don't lie about motivations to make themselves look better?

I don't think many people have gone through what the Rangers staff have in the past 6 months. Just think what we as fans have gone through and then factor in that it's also your job. Still run of the mill everyday stuff to you?

My personal opinion on this has got nothing to do with whether I trust Green or not. I'm actually starting to warm to the guy. I don't belive every word that leaves his mouth, but I do think he's starting to get a feel for the job.

I also still don't agree with the decision those players made. I called them deserters at the time and I stand by that. I don't agree they deserve to shoulder all the blame and to be accused of acting out of greed alone though.

Edited by UCF2008

So you think there was no communication between the players and the management or coaching staff? I've seen it reported that John Fleck tried to make contact with McCoist but was unable to reach him, I don't know if that's true or not. However I find it very hard to believe that those players had no contact with McCoist, Durrant or McDowall at all over the summer. I believe that those three could not and would not tell the players to stay because they didn't know what was going to happen themselves.

You must accept that the relationship between McCoist and Green was strained until very recently? For McCoist to retain any credibility with players he'd need to tell them the truth, or a version of it, that he believed. Bloody hell until very recently he was telling supporters he couldn't ask them to buy season tickets because he didn't know what the future held.

I wish all the players who left us well, I hope that one day in the future some of them might return. I think McGregor for example will return on a Bosman in 2 years time, I think that is why he signed such a short contract in Turkey. Our club was a mess, it wasn't the players who did that, the real vilains are still at large, your anger is misdirected in my opinion.

Agents saw a chance to make some money for themselves and their players end of story all this nobody was telling me anything is BS, it's all about the money plain and simple.

As for any of them returning if they've got any sense they will stay away.

Edited by GovanAllan