Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

I think this biggest worry for me is that IMO we have been given a unique opportunity "handed" to us. We find oursleves with a blank canvas. We are starting from scratch. We are at square one... you get the picture. I would have thought that this period more than any other time in our history was the time to rip up the blueprint and start again. This was the time to install an new footballing ethos into our club from the youth teams to the top teams, not rehash old tactics and mindsets.

If you look around the footballing world there are plenty of young imaginative managers that stick by their guns and adopt a philosophy of football based on ball renetion and quick passing on the deck. This is what we need to develop at our club. We need a new footballing identity that will keep fans on board and get them back through the turnstyles

To see our keeper and defenders lump long speculative balls to big strikers one year on from the shambles of last season is nothing short of staggering IMO

I think this biggest worry for me is that IMO we have been given a unique opportunity "handed" to us. We find oursleves with a blank canvas. We are starting from scratch. We are at square one... you get the picture. I would have thought that this period more than any other time in our history was the time to rip up the blueprint and start again. This was the time to install an new footballing ethos into our club from the youth teams to the top teams' date=' not rehash old tactics and mindsets.

If you look around the footballing world there are plenty of young imaginative managers that stick by their guns and adopt a philosophy of football based on ball renetion and quick passing on the deck. This is what we need to develop at our club. We need a new footballing identity that will keep fans on board and get them back through the turnstyles

To see our keeper and defenders lump long speculative balls to big strikers one year on from the shambles of last season is nothing short of staggering IMO[/quote']

But who would you get that would want to do this and is good enough to take us into Europe? I don't get this "building for the future" malarky, it's rarely worked anywhere for a successful team and the likes of Souness, Advocaat and Smith have shown, as well as O'Neil, Strachan and Lennon have shown is that you can build a successful team in a season or two.

The weird bit for me is that you say this and miss the flack at the manager for a poor win when using about 7 kids in the team with 5 under 21 and an average age of 13 players of 23.5... Where is the patience - how do you know that's not just part of the process?

Besides, it's too late - someone said we'd already been set back ten years - what does that really mean?

To be honest, I'd be surprised if McCoist, as an ex striker who wasn't that tall, doesn't have a philosophy of attacking football with passing on the deck (which in reality if you actually watch the game we mostly do and where we mostly lose the ball); however, there is always two teams on the pitch and our squad are nothing like the top internationals of top Spanish, Italian and English sides.

Who is to say McCoist is not following the philosophy you prescribe, but we are merely viewing the results that go with it?

But who would you get that would want to do this and is good enough to take us into Europe? I don't get this "building for the future" malarky, it's rarely worked anywhere for a successful team and the likes of Souness, Advocaat and Smith have shown, as well as O'Neil, Strachan and Lennon have shown is that you can build a successful team in a season or two.

The weird bit for me is that you say this and miss the flack at the manager for a poor win when using about 7 kids in the team with 5 under 21 and an average age of 13 players of 23.5... Where is the patience - how do you know that's not just part of the process?

Besides, it's too late - someone said we'd already been set back ten years - what does that really mean?

To be honest, I'd be surprised if McCoist, as an ex striker who wasn't that tall, doesn't have a philosophy of attacking football with passing on the deck (which in reality if you actually watch the game we mostly do and where we mostly lose the ball); however, there is always two teams on the pitch and our squad are nothing like the top internationals of top Spanish, Italian and English sides.

Who is to say McCoist is not following the philosophy you prescribe, but we are merely viewing the results that go with it?

Take us into Europe? Sorry mate buts that miles away at the mo. We need to get back to basics and change our entire philosophy. With regards to building teams, I agree it can be done in a short period of time but my point wasn't about building a team but more about building an ethos at our club that will only benefit us, year in year out.

And it's clear to anyone with a pair of eyes that Ally isn't following the philosophy I'm taking about. I would go as far as saying most of our opposition this season have shown more of those qualities than we have.

The Neil Alexander hoof says it all.