Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

The bigger question today must be.....

Can we take that performance into Division 3 games away from home. Going by last night it looks like, in Division 3, the biggest problem is motivation. And if that is the case then we should be using as many of the younger players as possible, whilst retaining a somewhat experienced spine. Younger players have more to prove as they look to the future.

Really though, if I were the manager I would be starting every game with Aird on one wing and McKay on the other - this gives us the width we need to stretch teams. Once Templeton is fit it will be interesting to see which one of Aird or McKay has to sit out - one thing is for sure though, all of a sudden we have a number of options to play wide positions, with pace and trickery to match.

I hope we see a whole lot more of Aird - this lad, once he matures and makes slightly better decisions, could be a real talent and an integral part of our future. Though I dont want to put too much expectation on the young lads shoulders.

All the youngsters were excellent last night, as were the experienced heads I thought. The only MINOR complaint I would have is that Ross Perry gets pretty flustered under pressure - slices the ball too much for my liking and, at times, his distribution is poor - but defensively he played very well. He and Emilson look like they have the makings of a very decent partnership, if worryingly lacking abit of pace.

One thing last night proved though, remembering we were up against one of the SPL's better sides, is that if regardless of age, if you are good enough you are old enough. Motherwell had no idea how to handle Aird last night and MacLeod had another very fine performance too.

All too true, but until it happens I'm still as high as a kite!

Must say, I was surprised to learn Perry had been playing CB last night. He was superb, which, considering his performances up till now, is nothing short of amazing. Many congratulations to him, not just for the performance, but for the mental strength to find such a performance. It's not easy for any player in a run of poor form and even harder for a young player. Well done, Ross.

Thought Wallace was as good as I have seen him as well.

edit: just posted this only to see Craig's mild chastisement of Perry! True, he did miskick, but his first job last night was not to get bullied by Higdon and that he did, despite the ref allowing Higdon to place his forearm on Perry's throat for most of the game.

Edited by andy steel

All too true, but until it happens I'm still as high as a kite!

Must say, I was surprised to learn Perry had been playing CB last night. He was superb, which, considering his performances up till now, is nothing short of amazing. Many congratulations to him, not just for the performance, but for the mental strength to find such a performance. It's not easy for any player in a run of poor form and even harder for a young player. Well done, Ross.

Thought Wallace was as good as I have seen him as well.

edit: just posted this only to see Craig's mild chastisement of Perry! True, he did miskick, but his first job last night was not to get bullied by Higdon and that he did, despite the ref allowing Higdon to place his forearm on Perry's throat for most of the game.

Which is why I said MINOR complaint :D

Perry had a fine job doing what he is primarily paid for, stopping opposing strikers - and he was up against a very physical Higdon and handled himself extremely well. As I said, my only small complaint was distribution and panic clearances not making good connections.

Not much to complain about on an otherwise excellent evening for us.

I agree, Wallace looked exceptional to me. None of our players failed last night - and it was also pleasing to see us physically exerting ourselves - a couple of times Well players just bounced off the likes of Wallace and Hutton.

I too, Andy, am as high as a kite today !

Lee Wallace is probably my favourite Rangers player at the moment, the guy is both consistent and accomplished and that for me is the difference between a god player and a potential legend. He's nailed his colours to the mast signing a 5yr deal and that image of him wheeling away in celebration at Ibrox after scoring against the mutants gives me goose bumps.

Manlove loyal.

No problems with long balls as a defensive measure ie clearing the lines, or when trying a long killer pass. The issue is more with Alexander when he's standing at the edge of the box waving everyone up-field - inc. the opposition. A quick long a ball is fine if it catches the opposition off guard....doesn't work as well when you tell the opposition exactly what your gonna do.

Now THAT is a worthy debating point! :thup:

Ideally he should be getting the ball moving quickly - one or 2 passes from defense and your up @ the 1/2 way line and still in possession!!!

I also don't like the fact he smacks the ball up the field - although it's not always as unsuccessful as some would suggest. I think that while passing short generally puts our defenders under pressure, they need to learn to cope, and it also draws players for the opposing team into our half so that even if the ball is passed back to Alexander and he hoofs it up the field, they will have a few players in front of the ball and so less there to win it. Players pushing up from the front also cause the defence to push up so that there is not too much room given in midfield and this gives us a chance to get behind them.

I think the problem with Alexander booting it up the field and as you say telling our players and theirs what he is about to do, plays into the hands of a team that want to defend deep and try their chances on the break - exactly how the SFL3 teams are playing.

And as you say, once our players get used to being comfortable and confident in possession deep in their own half, they can pick out a pass or beat the player bearing down on them and we quickly have some momentum, at worst still having possession.

The flip side is that if they are beaten it is in a very dangerous position.