Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

Well, we're now half way through the league season and have accumulated 45 points which, if the second half of the season goes the same way we could end up with a reasonably impressive 90 points. That's 2.5 points a game and so in a 38 game league like the SPL would be the equivalent of 95 points. Not too bad - but you have to consider that to even get that amount we'd have to have similar bad results to those in the first half of the season. While I'm sure we'll still get the odd bad result, I think our teething problems are over and less points will be dropped in the second half of the season.

Those of a negative bent will no doubt point out that it's only division three and previous teams would be expected to win almost every game but that is ignoring the fact that every previous team has been of a higher quality due to playing in the SPL or old First Division with much greater relative resources than we have this season. In fact I think it's amazing how well we're doing with the number of kids and rookies that we have in the team.

In the past you'd be pleased with two or three playing regularly but this season we have about nine - and that is after the best four or five of our current crop left for nothing.

I don't think we have many examples to compare our current challenges to so in that scenario, I'm reasonably happy with the way things are going. I was worried with our form at the start of the season but was sure it would improve and 11 wins on the trot and at least 15-18 points ahead has made me quite comfortable.

It's hard to judge Ally in this one-off situation but I think you've got to admire someone who can at least do a passable job with a very young squad. Each division will bring fresh challenges and we have yet to see what Ally can do given a few stable seasons at the top of our game. However, given what he has achieved he at least deserves a chance to show it if he gets us there without delay.

One thing is for sure, he's been good enough at the job for this season on the park as well as being a pillar of strength off of it.

Well for the next two years we dont need to worry about that do we

Ally was certainly a threat to Celtic in the first half of last season so "never" seems just wishful thinking from a guy who does nothing but praise Celtic and bash Rangers.

Ally was certainly a threat to Celtic in the first half of last season so "never" seems just wishful thinking from a guy who does nothing but praise Celtic and bash Rangers.

celtic were more a threat to themselves if truth be told.

Well for the next two years we dont need to worry about that do we

no but when something is so inevitable it is better to fix it before it gets to that stage. ally will never manage us in the champions league and we will never win another spl title whilst he is boss. he just doesnt have it.

Not for me i'm afraid, 'amazing' is a huge exaggeration for how we're doing. This is how we should expect to be doing with our resources.

Now i'm not saying Ally doesn't deserve credit as it can be difficult to meet expectations and in many senses he's in a no win situation, but to make him out as a miracle worker at this stage just stinks of an extreme response to extremities on the negative side (of which there are some no doubt),

I'll also never understand Calscot's constant negativity in regards to our young players, several graduates in the first team is what we've been hoping to see from Auchenhowie from the beginning and if we weren't going to really start using it after being demoted three divisions then we'd have been as well closing all our youth systems. Oh and even when things haven't been going well the youngsters have been encouraging, the senior players more of a let down.

stopped reading at "amazing how we are doing" :facepalm: omg

You SHOULD read it. It is a fair assessment of the season thus far including the trials and tribulations which have affected the resources we have.

The ONLY complaint I would have of calscot's post is the one thing that had you stop reading completely. I agree... "amazing" is an exaggeration for me. For any Rangers team with the resources we have comparative to all other SFL 3 clubs to be where we are is expected, but still good nonetheless - but I would stop a fair way short of calling it amazing.

But I guess that is what opinions are for :D

If anyone is interested this is our league record after 18 games past 3 seasons

2012-13 Ally 3rd div...18 14 3 1 51 13 45

2011-12 Ally spl...........18 14 3 1 34 8 45

2010-11 Walter spl......18 14 2 2 43 19 44

Doesn't prove a thing tho'

Edited by 54andcounting