Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

There is more to how way play and our results than training but lets have a look at it anyway.

I think you can only blame McCoist for players who he has had a reasonable amount of time with. The only three that fall into that category are McCulloch, Alexander and Wallace. Funnily enough those are our three best and most consistent players. Are you saying McCoist is a better coach than the previous coaches of all our signings?

Other players he's had a wee bit of time with are Perry and Little - they both seem to be doing quite well. Another plus mark for McCoist.

He's recently started working with the likes of McKay, McLeod, Hegarty, Crawford, Aird, Hutton and Naismith. Are you saying they are all dross?

The likes of Shiels, Black and Argyriou will still be affect by their previous training but they will slowly be affected by McCoists coaching. As will Cribari, Faure, Sandaza and Kyle.

Stella also falls into that category. Some strange person complained that this guy hadn't had a game yet - he's 21 and we're already playing 8 youths so what is the problem? Perhaps he's not up to speed yet and not showing the same standard of readiness as those 8 others. It's not like McCoist doesn't play young players - although some people have slagged him off for that...

We played pretty well at the weekend and that was with EIGHT players from our youth development. That's pretty amazing. However, the thing about youngsters is that they are more likely to be inconsistent, get lost in the game or show their naivety - so with so many in the team we are very susceptible to a poor performance especially is there is a lack of experienced players to talk the kids through the game. They are certainly not always going to have a good game against an experienced SPL side in a one off cup game...

We struggled at the beginning of the season but we had three players in the team who wanted to leave and were playing more players who were the result of other coaches' training...

Overall it looks like the proof of the pudding is positive on Ally's side but the time to really judge that is at the end of the season - when he's had time with the players and time to develop the team.

If you're watching dross, which are the players who are the main one's for causing the dross?

Strange because I have a different view from yourself?

21 is hardly schoolboy age, he signed him so I questioned the merits of how he can't get near the team even when there's been injury problems. Wouldn't be the first time a signing has been wasted i.e. Matt McKay.

You're blowing this 8 youths thing way out of proportion, it's no-where near 8 youths starting the games and some of the 'youths' are about 22 years old.

I was a fan of PLG. I believe that when we let him go and brought back Walter Smith it set Rangers back years. Yes he was stabilising influence but that wasn't what we needed at that time we needed strong decisons to be made and to see them through.

PLG needed time and he needed Murray to back him even if it meant a couple of years of winning nothing we would have been in better shape at the end of it in my opinion.

I was a fan of PLG. I believe that when we let him go and brought back Walter Smith it set Rangers back years. Yes he was stabilising influence but that wasn't what we needed at that time we needed strong decisons to be made and to see them through.

PLG needed time and he needed Murray to back him even if it meant a couple of years of winning nothing we would have been in better shape at the end of it in my opinion.

And you just know that the Rangers fans would not accept that!

But that simply isnt true , as I posted earlier Le Guens ideas on diet rehydration were flawed , fundamentaly , also hie record after leaving us shows how poor a coach he actually was

He took PSG into Europe twice, well before all the money started coming in.

Not much you can do with Cameroon and Oman.

all those players were better under their previous coach. despite in most cases being at poorer sides. in shields and blacks case its night and day.

I disagree regarding Shiels in particular. Shiels was a boy wonder, signed by Arsene Wenger as a youth player Shiels looked like he could become a genuine great, however he never fulfilled that potential and Arsenal eventually released him without making a 1st team appearance. He moved to Hibs where he first became known to most Rangers supporters. He had some good games for Hibs but he failed to become a first team regular, often starting from the bench and he was eventually transferred for about £50,000 to Doncaster.

Again Shiels struggled to become a 1st choice, he'd get a run of games then drop out of the side, inconsistency plaguing his game. Eventually Doncaster decided to loan him to Kilmarnock who happened to be managed by his Dad. Doncaster decided not to offer him a new contract and he was released and signed a short term contract at Killie.

Now at Kilmarnock he looked quite good, but again he had good games and bad ones, ask any Killie fan. Playing for his father seems to have helped his game, whether his Dad simply understands better what makes him tick or simply has more trust in him we can only speculate at. However he's not the 1st player who has performed beter for his own father than another manager and perhaps gives an insight into his psychology.

His career at Rangers has followed a similar pattern, good games and quiet ones. When he's good he's match winning good, but when he's quiet he might as well not be there. That's been Shiels career so far, McCoist has had no more success or failure from Shiels than all his other managers, his father being arguably the only exception. But It is stil early days, he's less than 4 months a Rangers player, the team has looked better in recent weeks, it is too early to judge him a success or failure.

Likewise Black is another of who much was expected when young but little delivered. His time at Blackburn Rovers is best forgotten and he was 21 before he made his debut for Inverness. At ICT he developed into a midfielder who could break up play, stop the opposition ball players and make a nuisance of himself. This got him a move to Hearts where he continued that role. It was only in the last year of his Hearts contract (a coincidence?) that he bagan to be noticed, crocking Jelavic being his main contribution. Stopping better players is fine if you play for ICT or Hearts where you play against better players most weeks, but at Rangers, particularly in Div 3 you don't. We're expected to control the match, make the play, set the tempo, not aspects of the game Black is adept at. He does act as a lightening rod for the opposition cloggers though, in pretty much every match this season he's been the victim of a bad foul. His presence though lets our better players play, MacLoed, McKay and even Shiels are able to express creativity whilst Black gets kicked and does some kicking in return; well it's a team game after all.

Probably not and I guess we'll never know.

I will say though he was the only one who tried to change things in that period. He said himself he had a 3 year plan.

Agree and how was he ever going to field a winning formula with a split dressing room and people undermining him. It played into the opposition hands straight away.