Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

Well would you believe it Ally eventually plays a 4-4-2 and what happens, fireworks we clip and remember why we play football.

Would I still like a change? Oh yes.

Don't change just yet. I'm over next week for the first time in four and the last time we scored a barrel load the week before I came over we drew 0-0 the following game. Fecking raging as I was meant to be over today.

Don't change just yet. I'm over next week for the first time in four and the last time we scored a barrel load the week before I came over we drew 0-0 the following game. Fecking raging as I was meant to be over today.

Next will be a harder game imo, meant formation not manager.

• 2 weeks later...
What garbage. Do Andy Murray or Rafa Nadal or Djokovic get knackered during 5 hour Tennis grand slam finals? This after playing maybe 4 hour semi final matches just 2 days before and about 5 matches during the 2 week tournament? Then they go onto the next tournament plus travelling around the world.

Garbage eh? What are your credentials here? I'm a qualified and experienced weightlifting instructor and always reading up on training methods for fitness.

Did you know that in a five set match, the likes of Nadal doesn't run much more than two miles? Say 700m a set or say 70m a game, or say 12m a point on average. However, it is quite intense as a lot of it is a long series of mini sprints.

Footballers tend to run for about 6 or 7 miles in a game (some players do more). Maybe not quite as intense as tennis as a lot is jogging around, but takes more endurance.

But the point is NO-ONE excercises for 6 hours every day - except perhaps on the Tour de France - but that is mostly low intensity due to drafting. Cavendish trains on his bike for about 3 to 8 hours a day depending but cycling is easier to maintain for long periods - for example marathon runners are finished in 2 hours, you wouldn't expect them to do three in a day.

Training can be less intense that actually playing any sport but if done properly really shouldn't be - although if you're training for a few hours a lot of it will be resting. Proper training should really be as intense than the competition itself but usually in shorter amounts - you want to save your best for the competition day.

Rest is as important as training as you get the benefits of the training during the recovery where your muscles repair themselves better than they were before.

Learning simple ball control and tactics involves watching and listening which doesnt use any physical strength at all.

This isn't really what you were orinally getting at as the topic was about fitness. But anyway, ball control takes a lot of energy in my opinion - but how much time should you really spend on it? Professional footballers are usually about as good as they are going to be, hours and hours of non-stop practice could be wasted due to the law of diminishing returns. Usually when you do so much practice when you are tired you actually make yourself worse due to sloppiness creeping in due to the fatigue.

Listening doesn't take physical energy but it does take energy. But then how much can a player learn from a coach? Will he learn loads by listening for hours every day? Football is mostly not that analytical, if you're thinking too much then you're going to be ponderous in the game. You can analyse the game and form your tactics and strategies - as well as drumming certain things into your brain so they become second nature but I don't see how forcing players to sit in a classroom for hours on end is really going to help.

I suspect most professional athletes outside cyclists and other sports where the intensity is less and the competition takes a long time, train for a few hours a day about five times a week.

When your game is for 90 minutes - what is the point in doing iron man type training?

Edited by calscot

I think when you mention tennis players you are talking about the top 10 in the world at most and probably the top 4. They are undoubtedly the best few at their sport and so not surprising that they are very fit. However, how do you compare fitness between sports. All sportsmen tend to get fit for the sport they are in so a marathon runner will look pretty unfit in a weight-lifting competition and vice versa as an extreme. But the marathon runner will find it hard at many sports including more fitness and less skill oriented (outside a repetitive technique) sports like road cycling and swimming.

But if you take the top four footballers in the world you'll find some incredibly fit guys - just like you will for skiing, F1, athletics etc, etc.

Most top athletes will be training pretty optimally and the main difference for fitness will tend towards genetics which is why you get super humans like Lance Armstrong.

We don't have any player in the top 10 in the world. Not even the top 100 or the top 300. But I'm pretty sure they are very fit guys.

I remember getting a free ticket to an Aberdeen v St Johnstone game and while these players weren't a patch on Rangers or any EPL side, the thing that struck me is that looking at a different perspective rather than wanting a team to win while there in the flesh, I noticed that even at Aberdeen they had players who looked immensely athletic and mega-fit. They certainly didn't look like your average bloke in Sunday League.

The thing about football is that there is a lot of money to go round compared to the likes of tennis, and so you get thousands of professionals. It's also a team sport where fitness isn't always as crucial as in other intense singles sports. You can make up for it with good teamwork, good individual skill and plenty of experience.

David Weir wouldn't break any records in a sprint or a marathon, but he could play his position better than a lot of younger, "fitter" players.

But in the end, training like a tennis player will not make you fitter for football. We can embrace other training techniques to improve our cardiovascular fitness or core strength etc but I don't think football will get that much new training techniques from tennis.

I think they COULD benefit from some of the sports psychology - but I think they need to borrow some of that from golf and rugby for set pieces.

Rugby have definitely learned from psychology and they do a pre-shot routine which includes relaxation techniques and then visualisation of a successful shot before committing to it. I don't understand why footballers don't do this for some set pieces - especially penalties; although to be fair they also have to think about psyching out the goalie rather than obviously aiming for one place. They also have the dilema of how close to put it to the post to make it harder to save where as golfers and rugby players are just trying to aim for as close to the middle of their target as possible which gives them an equal amount of room for error each side.

You may not like the coaches at Ibrox but I'm highly confident that they are pretty knowledgeable on the state of the art of football training. How much they apply that knowledge is another matter but I do think they take it very seriously.