Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

It is naive to think that Adminstration was something that happened over night.

I would think the whole team were aware that we were on the brink for a large part of the season.

coaching staff and players had no idea, i promise you. please take my word for it, i know for a fact ally mccoist had no idea what was going on until the very day it was announced.

Of course we should have won the league last year after having 10pts deducted and our top scorer sold off in January....and the Olympic 200m and the Ashes.

Incredible.

Missing the point JC we were never winning the League that's not why I'm questioning Ally, I'm questioning Ally because we are sitting watching him get himself into the exact same mess with the exact same mistakes he did last year has he learnt nothing in the past 12 months.

Of course we should have won the league last year after having 10pts deducted and our top scorer sold off in January....and the Olympic 200m and the Ashes.

Incredible.

I know, I know what do people expect, and out of 4 cup competitions we defeated the mighty Arbroath !

I love the "blown a 15 point lead" bit. If you're useless, how do you get a 15pt lead in the first place?

Imagine having a runner who's miles ahead in race and then halfway round gets an injury, he then gets a ten second stop/start penalty because his coach didn't fill in a form properly and still finishes comfortably second.

Do you think that guy is useless or that he has potential?

You get a 15 point lead because the second horse didn't start running till after Christmas, you then blow it by being unable to get the team playing without its one star player.

Never saw much of the game on Saturday on a poor link prior to going over to Berwick, What i did see i thought we lacked a wee bit of width without proper wingers. Too much long ball at times and overcrowding in midfield. Easily sorted i would have thought, no need to panic.

We could all see that last season as well it's a pity Ally didn't see it, and he doesn't seem to see it this season either so far.

results. out of 3 competitions before september, all exits to mediocre teams on far less budgets than ours and i mean far less.

As I said, in a manager's first season, especially BEFORE he has sorted his team, you can't judge really him on cup games. They are too unpredictable and so you need to judge him on that over several seasons. It's the league that shows where abouts you are as it is not about one of games.

McCoist did not have the most easiest of starts - very early games against the champions of countries of similar size to use, one of which was already in the middle of its season. There is a pattern here where we lose in these type of games that has been shown by Eck and Walter also: if you don't have a settled team and don't get your new players in early, you can struggle. McCoist did not have a settled team, we lost two many players - you said yourself that he had to sign nine but most of those did not arrive till after we were out. Add in injury, lack of fitness and players who were not back till late from international duty and you have an unprepared side.

I think our preseason showed that we weren't in shape. You may want to blame Ally for that but that's like complain a chef's cake is shit when he hasn't got all the ingredients and you take it out of the oven too early. There is only so much you can influence.

A large budget counts for nothing if you don't spend it on time - and when you don't get to spend it on what you think you need and get second rate products instead.

that guy(plg) still had us in europe at xmas.

You seem to base management on how well you do in Europe in your first season - you are one of very few. How well you do in a cup competition depends on the draw and how well you play in those one off games. If that was the sign of the best team then the Scottish cup would be more important than the championship.

PLG did OK in Europe, not spectacularly but OK. However, his performance the the MAIN competition, the one that really counts was very poor - and if McCoist had done that badly I'd have wanted him to go too.

I take it you thought Eck's last season was successful because we reached the CL knockout stage even though we finished third in the league?

the team stopped playing for him because he wanted change and they were too lazy to comply.

Making excuses are we? Thought that wasn't allowed? Is it not the manager's job to get the players playing for him? Isn't that one of the most basic skills of a manager? PLG brought in most of new team and had more money at his disposal than he spent. However, he didn't research Scottish football or culture, he didn't learn to communicate well in English and he brought three other Frenchmen as part of his coaching team. It's another thread but the guy got it spectacularly wrong and then walked away at the first opportunity.

He was our WORST manager in our 140 year history. He also committed the crime of being out of both cups* before they really started and one of them to a lower division side. So he failed spectacularly in all THREE domestic competitions but he did OK in Europe so was a good manager?

(* I know one was after he left but as it was the first game, I attribute it to him.)

mccoist has shown nothing of the sort on the park, nothing like it. his response to a challenge on the field was to crumble.

McCoist has not had a proper shot at Europe with his own settled team as explained above, but he HAS shown that given that team, and without the biggest off-field problems our club has ever seen, he can do a job. Something Le Guen showed nothing of the sort on the park.

we still had mcgregor and bocanegra, our two best players last season. our keeper being one of our better players tells its own story incidently. we could have and should have won the league even with the 10 point deduction.

Now you're showing not that you have no logic behind what you say. Despite a ten point deduction, an off-field melt down, players having their contracts negotiated down to 25%, you think McCoist should have won the league? I'm sorry but you don't even seem sane to me. But the kicker is that if you lose the dressing room and are 17 points behind, that's ok as long as you have a wee run in Europe?

Buy your standards for Ally, PLG should have been AT LEAST 17points AHEAD at the halfway point.

i dont buy the psychological excuse.

You do for PLG don't you? But if you don't get the psychological side of things then you really don't understand humans or sport. They are not robots or computer games. How well will you work if forced to take a 75% pay cut or in fact not even know if you're going to be paid? This is the problem with the Anti-Ally stuff, there is just no wisdom in it whatsoever.

as am i, over a year is being more than patient and nor do i make up stuff.

A year when we are put out of business and finish second is being patient? Wow!

I've no idea which part of my post you're rebutting with your next few paragraphs so will edit them out.

your last dig is pathetic deflection.

No it's just my conclusion. I suppose I went through the same thing with Walter Smith. I didn't think he was spectacular but seemed to be doing a job and deserved time. Then he did a fantastic job. I've been pretty consistent and have the same criteria for all managers and know when they have to go - I felt that way for Advocaat, Eck and PLG due to their league results.

When you compare the money they all had, Advocaat should at least have been challenging for the title every season and not finish more than a few points behind at worst.

Eck should at have least be finishing within touching distance of Celtic and definitely ahead of Hearts.

PLG should have at the very, very, very worst, less than 10 points behind Celtic at the halfway stage.

Walter Smith was cheated out of his first title and won the next three, job done.

McCoist could only be expected to finish second under the circumstances and he did that comfortably - definitely good enough.

But I don't see how you can make a judgement on ANY manager under those circumstances. The very least you could do is give Ally a full season where we are not going out of business - and asking for perfection is ludicrous, especially from someone who obviously doesn't hold himself to even average standards.

You get a 15 point lead because the second horse didn't start running till after Christmas, you then blow it by being unable to get the team playing without its one star player.

Which one ? The injured one or the one Whyte sold for buttons and left us with hardly a striker ?