Le Guen faces keeper decision

Rangers manager Paul Le Guen must decide whether to recall fit-again keeper Lionel Letizi after a string of impressive performances from Allan McGregor.

Former French international Letizi, 33, hopes to return to full training this week following a back problem and aims to make himself available for Sunday's league match against Hearts.

But Letizi's understudy, 24-year-old McGregor, has performed admirably in his absence and many feel it would be unjust to leave him out of the starting line-up.

Le Guen will have to face extra scrutiny when weighing up his options as he already dropped McGregor in favour of Letizi earlier this year when the Frenchman sustained a calf injury.

Fans were upset with the decision, which sparked fears McGregor could leave, but the keeper agreed to sign a new deal and fight for his place before Letizi again went down with an injury.

While it will prove a tough call for Le Guen, Letizi is refusing to put any additional pressure on his manager.

"Allan is a very good goalkeeper," he told Rangers News. "He has many, many qualities and I feel sure that he will play for the Scottish national team before long.

"He is not just a good goalkeeper, he is a good man. He works really hard on the training field and I think he has all the attributes to play for Scotland.

"The manager made a decision to bring me back into the team when I recovered from my calf injury. However, if he had chosen to stick with Allan then I would have respected his decision.

"Basically, if he asks me to play, I play. If he asks me to stay on the bench then I stay on the bench. There is no problem. I want what is best for the club."

Letizi also said that his back injury has proved to be a recurring problem.

"Sometimes I have a problem with my back and basically the only cure is rest and treatment from the physios.

"I sometimes have to see the osteopath to help with this problem and it is something I have been troubled with for many years - since I was 20, in fact."

Nice to see the positive comments from Leitzi re McGregor. Still hard to call what PLG will do but I think McGregor deserves his chance

Guest Stan Smith
Nice to see the positive comments from Leitzi re McGregor. Still hard to call what PLG will do but I think McGregor deserves his chance

I agree but I think PLG has already said that Leitzi is his first choice...unfortunately

I was disappointed in the first place that McGregor was dropped for Letizi and will feel the same if it happens again.

In saying that I think Letizi will come back in and think PLG see's McGregor as a longer term option after Letizi raps it.