Jim Jefferies: Pars should be SPL's 'Club 12' if it comes down to sporting integrity

As Dumferline have.

My point being that perhaps when Motherwell didnt get relegated it was because the 2nd place team may not have had a stadium that met the SPL criterion. And, therefore, Motherwell stayed up on default (would be silly to go to the 3rd placed team in the SFL1 for a promotion spot just because the 1st two dont have a stadium meeting the criteria).

However, this time around Dundee DO have a stadium that meets the criteria. Therefore the default cant simply be Dunfermline as this time around there IS a ready-made replacement.

In other words, last time round there may have been no suitable replacement for Motherwell based on stadia, whereas this time around there is.

This current situation is probably different to the one previously, that is the point I am making.

Guest Bluenose80
My point being that perhaps when Motherwell didnt get relegated it was because the 2nd place team may not have had a stadium that met the SPL criterion. And, therefore, Motherwell stayed up on default (would be silly to go to the 3rd placed team in the SFL1 for a promotion spot just because the 1st two dont have a stadium meeting the criteria).

However, this time around Dundee DO have a stadium that meets the criteria. Therefore the default cant simply be Dunfermline as this time around there IS a ready-made replacement.

In other words, last time round there may have been no suitable replacement for Motherwell based on stadia, whereas this time around there is.

This current situation is probably different to the one previously, that is the point I am making.

You make a fair point but I think what really matters is there is no sporting integrity in denying a club promotion because they didn't an have an extra few thousand seats to sit empty every week. The whole 10,000 seat rule was ridiculous given outside the old firm no they barely manage 5,000 each week.

You make a fair point but I think what really matters is there is no sporting integrity in denying a club promotion because they didn't an have an extra few thousand seats to sit empty every week. The whole 10,000 seat rule was ridiculous given outside the old firm no they barely manage 5,000 each week.

Yep, I agree that the 10,000 seat rule was ridiculous, however, i am sure it was brought in knowing full well that the OF would fill the stadia.... and look where that has got these teams with seated stadia now...

Guest Dutchy

That's the point Jeffries is making, why is this diffirent?

It would be handy to know who was 2nd to Falkirk, yes, but Dumferline are wanting to know if the satdium issue is imaterial, they should then stay, just as Motherwell did all those years ago.

They are arguing from precendent, effectively. Obviously, there are no clear cut rules, and there doesn't seem as though we can depend on the present CEO of the SPL to give an answer, as he should be able to.

If nothing else, it would stop all this silly debates. Don't you think?

Guest Dutchy

Ah! When did logic ever come into the workings of the SPL?

Now that we're in the lower divisions, maybe it would be an interesting time to see the arguements of the wee teams, as oppossed to the big and the rich clubs.

Just a suggestion, as the authourities don't seem to know what's going on, or how it should deal with what's going on, if indeed it knew what was going on. :-)

That's the point Jeffries is making, why is this diffirent?

It would be handy to know who was 2nd to Falkirk, yes, but Dumferline are wanting to know if the satdium issue is imaterial, they should then stay, just as Motherwell did all those years ago.

They are arguing from precendent, effectively. Obviously, there are no clear cut rules, and there doesn't seem as though we can depend on the present CEO of the SPL to give an answer, as he should be able to.

If nothing else, it would stop all this silly debates. Don't you think?

I dont think it IS the same as what Jefferies was suggesting. He is saying that because they finished 12th in Scottish football whilst Dundee finished 14th they should be kept in. I didnt see any mention of Jefferies suggesting that it was anything to do with the stadium issue.

My point is, Falkirk didnt get promoted because of the ground issue, right ? We dont know whether the 2nd placed team was considered or not but I would suspect their ground wasnt up to the criteria either. So Jefferies point, in a sense, fails in that he is making an apples to oranges comparison (so long as Dundee's ground DOES adhere to the criteria).

I dont think he is necessarily arguing from precedent either. Precedent is when you have the same circumstances re-occurring - these circumstances are different as far as I can see in a few ways.

But one thing I absolutely DO agree on is that the SPL, and Doncaster in particular, have completely screwed up in all this. To even have a "Club 12" in the fixtures list is appalling - it should have been fairly clear that it should have been "Rangers/Dunfermline/Dundee" - and they didnt even need to make a decision regarding Rangers - all they really needed to do was have a "what if RFC get booted out - which teams goes to SPL, is it Dunfermline or Dundee" - that decision could have been taken AGES ago.

You know it, I know it, we ALL know it - the SPL and indeed the SFA are completely farcical. The only organisation with ANY credibility left is the SFL - and even that is a foundation built on sand - they could very well reject us entirely from the SFL too.

Shambles from start to finish.