Don Hutchison has urged the Rangers supporters to put their faith firmly in new owner

DON HUTCHISON has urged the Rangers supporters to put their faith firmly in Charles Green.

The pair worked together during Greenâ??s disastrous spell in charge at Sheffield United.

Feelings there still run deep, but Hutch insists he doesnâ??t have a bad word to say about the man he believes has already saved stricken Rangers.

Hutchison said: â??I think the Rangers fans have to trust Charles Green.

â??I was at Sheffield United with Charles. He has put his money where his mouth is. He came in at a time when Rangers were struggling and he rescued them.

â??The fans have to try and trust him a little bit.

â??I know itâ??s hard, because there are former players and former managers in there who are trying to front another consortium.

â??But Charles has come in as an outsider, so the fansâ?? affiliations are clearly going to be with guys who have been at the club before.

â??But Charles has come in and put a bit of money in.

â??Heâ??s got his consortium to back Rangers at a difficult time. So I think they just have to go with it and trust him.â?

If anything, Hutchison feels sorry for the man the Gers fans want out.

Left high and dry by the ten players who refused to transfer to his newco, Green spends his day putting out fires instead of planning for the future.

And Hutchison â?? who left United to join Everton at the height of the unrest at Bramall Lane â?? maintains Green MUST be given time.

The former midfielder said: â??I hear Charles talking about it, heâ??s trying to be as eloquent as he can without giving too much away.

â??Itâ??s just such a difficult situation. From the fansâ?? point of view, they just want an answer as to where they are going to be.

â??This might take another two or three weeks, but I think theyâ??ve had enough over the last six months.

â??They want to know what division they are going to be in, whether itâ??s the SPL, First or Third Division. Then they will be able to move on.

â??But everything is still up in the air. I think Charles Green might be the man.

â??Iâ??m not saying he is 100 per cent the man, but from what I make of him, he is trying to do his best on a very difficult playing field.

â??He is a typically forthright Yorkshireman and you have to be that way in business. The business sideâ??s not my strong point, I can talk about football. But he has had to come in and just fight fires every single day.

â??All of a sudden, nine or ten players have said they donâ??t want to join the new company and are going to leave the club.

â??So heâ??s left wondering what he has got to build the team with.

â??He has come in there with his consortium and spent a lot of money, thinking they are going to take Rangers forward.

â??Then suddenly half of their players clear off.

â??The Rangers supporters have got to try and take away from the situation, if they can, that this guy has actually put money in.

â??In the short term, he is trying to help. In the longer term, hopefully he is the guy who can get Rangers back up there again.

â??If he moves on and leaves it in better hands, thatâ??s what Charles will do.

â??Itâ??s just really, really messy at the moment.â?

Hutchison is fearful for the future.

In the stampede to see Rangers punished, Scottish football appears to be cutting its own throat.

And last night Hutch â?? who won 26 caps for Scotland â?? warned that the game in Scotland might never recover if Gers are banished right down to Division Three.

He stressed: â??The one thing Iâ??m really surprised about, looking at it from down south, is the number of teams who are opposed to Rangers staying in the SPL.

â??Itâ??s absolutely critical for Scottish football that Rangers stay in that league.

â??I think Scottish football is cutting its own throat, I really do.

â??I just canâ??t imagine an SPL without Rangers. There will be no Old Firm games, the clubs at the lower end of the SPL are going to struggle.

â??International level is also a worry. If a lot of these Rangers players think they are just going to walk into an English Premier League club and play first team football immediately, they have another think coming.

â??Itâ??s one of the hardest leagues in the world.

â??So are they going to have to go to Championship level to get a game?

â??Some of these players are never going to play for a club the size of Rangers again, even if they go down south.

â??So it has to be a worry for the SPL and for the national side as well.

â??If the likes of Jamie Ness goes to Stoke and I think thatâ??s a fantastic move from him, I think of him as a footballer and a ball player.

â??Right away, Iâ??m thinking is he going to fit into Tony Pulisâ?? style of play? Iâ??d think no.

â??He simply might have to do his apprenticeship in the reserves, but I spent the last year of my Scotland career not playing for West Ham.

â??At the end, it catches up and these are young boys with some pretty big decisions to make about the future.

â??I understand them wanting to leave as you have a short and sharp life as a footballer and want to play the best level you can.

â??But the worry for me is, if you are not playing first-team, itâ??s got to harm your standard.â?

DON HUTCHINSON was at Hampden Park to receive his Honorary Scotland Supporters Club membership.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4407129/I-saw-what-Charles-did-in-Sheffield-fans-have-to-trust-him.html#ixzz1zW5OJSuy

Guest Redhandluke

This supports my opinion,Rangers should join the English league,and let the sfa stew in there own fat,maybe Rangers could let the reseves play in scotland.The spl clubs that are against Rangers rejoining the league will be crying into there empty piggy banks.The whole scottish football system will suffer,if Rangers are not in the league,Celtic will suffer,look at the irish league since belfast celtic went out,thats what will happen to the spl a 1 team league, borring,what decent player will want to play in scotland.JOIN THE ENGLISH LEAGUE,ATTRACKED BETTER PLAYERS,AND PLAY IN A BETTER LEAGUE.

People make it sound like it is so simple to just join the English leagues. I didn't realise they just had vacancies kicking about. If it were as simple as that I am sure it would have been done a long time ago,

This supports my opinion,Rangers should join the English league,and let the sfa stew in there own fat,maybe Rangers could let the reseves play in scotland.The spl clubs that are against Rangers rejoining the league will be crying into there empty piggy banks.The whole scottish football system will suffer,if Rangers are not in the league,Celtic will suffer,look at the irish league since belfast celtic went out,thats what will happen to the spl a 1 team league, borring,what decent player will want to play in scotland.JOIN THE ENGLISH LEAGUE,ATTRACKED BETTER PLAYERS,AND PLAY IN A BETTER LEAGUE.

They don't want us. and they don't need us. The only chance we will have is if an EPL 2 was formed. When Phil Gartside tried to do just that he was roundly outvoted.

Could we resurrect Gretna, start them in the low end of the pyramid, let them rise up to the FL and then move them to Glasgow and change their name to Rangers?

They've played in England before so there is a precedent and then moving them to Glasgow could not be complained about as they wouldn't be crossing the border.

Or perhaps it's time to induce others to start an Atlantic league. With 18 top clubs outside the big five countries threatening to form their own association, UEFA wouldn't have much choice. They have no real argument against it now that population based TV money means all these clubs are now marginalised by border rules.