ESPN UK to show Canadian football (gridiron)

Guest ayrshireranger

Guest ayrshireranger

ESPN UK has picked up the CFL.

And its live games as well.

http://tv.espn.co.uk/gb/espl/sports-...ican-football/

(look at top right hand corner)

http://tv.espn.co.uk/gb/espl/tv-schedule/

Games:

Friday 29th June---

12:00 AM UK

LIVE: CFL

Saskatchewan at Hamilton

The Roughriders meet the Tiger-Cats of Hamilton in a Canadian Football League matchup.

Duration : 180 mins

3:00 AM UK

Winnipeg at BC

The Blue Bombers go head to head with the Lions in this Canadian Football League contest.

Saturday 30th June

12:00 AM UK

Toronto at Edmonton

Toronto travel to Edmonton in the Canadian Football League.

Duration : 180 mins

Guest ayrshireranger

I am a CFL fan.

I think its a quality league and game.

And even my American friends think so, even if they think the NFL is better.

I am a CFL fan.

I think its a quality league and game.

And even my American friends think so, even if they think the NFL is better.

By comparison to the NFL it is shite.

It is where the youngsters go to try to make a name for themselves (and rarely do - yes, there are some notable exceptions) or where has-beens go because they cant get a game in the NFL.

The standard on show is awful.

Sorry, but that is my opinion.

3 down Football takes a bit of getting used to.

It can be highly entertaining and extremely high scoring.

Craigs point about young talent making a name for themselves is true but most of them are very talented players from the USA who are too small in stature to compete against the behemoths that play in the NFL.

The CFL has been a great starting point for quality QB's,Warren Moon,Doug Flutie and Joe Thiesmann to name a few.

The standard being awful could,in part,be due to the CFL having a clause that states there has to be a percentage of Canadian content.

There is a drop off in the talent pool there.

Guest ayrshireranger
By comparison to the NFL it is shite.

It is where the youngsters go to try to make a name for themselves (and rarely do - yes, there are some notable exceptions) or where has-beens go because they cant get a game in the NFL.

The standard on show is awful.

Sorry, but that is my opinion.

1--No it is not. And I am an NFL fan of THIRTY years. And watched my first NFL game via Grandstand a few year before that. Is it as strong as the NFL?. No, it dosent have the depth. But to say its just rubbish is, well, rubbish.

Is the NFL better?. Yes, but that dosent equal the CFL being rubbish.

I have been following the CFL for several years now, and I think it is a good quality league with good quality players.

2--It is not a dumping grouns for hasbeens. You clearly dont know WHY many Americans go north.

The reason in a lot of cases is the NFL obsession for size and for QB's, an obsession with the 'big arm' over consistency.

Many top college players will not get drafted because the NFL wants them to be 6ft or 6'4, when they are 5'10 or 6'1, depending on the position. The NFL is over obsessed with size. And as far as quarterbacks are concerned, there is an obsession by scouts and coaches about the big cannon arm, and some excellent young QB's who have a good but not great arm, but whose best trait is a consistent arm and passing ability, not showy but methodically good, get passed over. Also again, NFL teams love their quarterbacks to 6'3--6'6, and 220-240pounds. So even college lads who are Div1 colleges, but who are 6ft and 200/210, get passed by. Even the great Drew Brees was told he was too small to be an NFL qb. And he is 6ft and 14-15st!.

As far as older hasbeens, that is unfair, the NFL is a cutthroat league, and some excellent players through bad luck, squad size, the cuts, injury and coaching decisions will not make it. To say they are hasbeens is nonsense. Remember most NFL draftees are from the top colleges. So some who end up in the CFL will be from the very best colleges.

And we havent even mentioned the native talent, those in the league and those who come through from the Canadian college system. To suggest Canadian colleges produce a poor product or that the native CFL players are poor is a nonsense. I also follow the Canadian college games as best as I can, and the standard is good, sometimes very good.

3--Again, I am an NFL fan of 30 yrs, and a CFL fan of 5. I watch both and I think the CFL is a good league.

Edited by ayrshireranger

We'll agree to disagree. I have been an NFL fan for 30 years too and I have PLENTY of friends who have GROWN UP with the CFL, and still support a CFL team. Why ? because they are Canadian. And guess what..... they also think the CFL is shite.

1. Your opinion. Doesnt make it right. Same as it doesnt make mine right either. I stated it as I saw it. You dont like it. Your problem, not mine. It is rubbish, IN MY OPINION.

2. You keep going on about a QB needing a cannon arm. Sorry, but that is nonsense. NFL teams are far more interested in having QB's who can move the chains and a cannon for an arm isnt needed for that. Reading plays and reading defences and their formations is far more important than having a cannon for an arm. And there are PLENTY of NFL Qb's who DONT have a cannon for an arm.

There are also plenty of terrible NFL QB's out there too. If your methodical, non-showy, consistent and good passing average QB's in the CFL really were any good, you dont think they would get picked up in the NFL ? The NFL right now has plenty of poor QB's.

3. Hasbeens may have been a touch harsh - but they still arent good enough to make it in thr NFL. And whilst we talk about size, it is a sport where size DOES count. You cant discount it just because you want to. It is a very physical game and the bigger the player dependent on position) the better. That is the NFL.

4. How many from the Canadian leagues make it in the NFL ? Not many I would hazard a guess at. They arent THAT good are they ?

You mentioned Moon, Flutie and Theismann..... "to name a few" - yes, a few, but I dont think there are actually many at all that make the transition from CFL to NFL. Those 3 were very good admittedly, but they are the exception rather than the norm.

Anyway, as I say, we wont agree on this - I think the CFL is shite, you dont. You wont convince me otherwise despite your protestations, and likewise I wont convince you otherwise despite mine.

Guest Dutchy

Surely there's many, many forums on that rotten game that is the american version of rugby?

Why don't you post your comments on the shite game there?

Guest ayrshireranger
You keep going on about a QB needing a cannon arm. Sorry, but that is nonsense.

I didnt say they needed it, I said that amongst NFL scouts and coaches, the 'big arm' has become overvalued and an obsession. I, like you, dont believe in that notion.

If your methodical, non-showy, consistent and good passing average QB's in the CFL really were any good, you dont think they would get picked up in the NFL ?

I think most if not all of the eight starting CFL quarterbacks would do well in the NFL. I dont think a QB like Travis Lulay would for example crash and burn, or a younger Anthony Calvillo.

And whilst we talk about size, it is a sport where size DOES count. You cant discount it just because you want to. It is a very physical game and the bigger the player dependent on position) the better. That is the NFL.

Of course it counts. But again, my point is that too often the NFL looks only at size. Thankfully more astute NFL coaches can grasp a players ability even if they are undersized. Bob Sanders is 5'8 and 200, yet at his peak, being hit by him would be like being hit by Ray Lewis. Who is 6'2 and 30 pounds of muscle heavier.

How many from the Canadian leagues make it in the NFL ? Not many I would hazard a guess at. They arent THAT good are they ?

Most Canadian CFL players never try. Why would they?. They are Canadian. To play in the CFL is their dream. Just as American boys want to play in the NFL.