Punch and Judy

Thinking back to my childhood in a post about my early years as a Rangers supporter i started to remember other things that played a role in my life as a child. I got to thinking about my family holidays. Most of our holidays were down to the seaside towns in England with Whitby Bridlington and Blackpool standing out in my memories.

I remember going to the game arcades and playing push the penny and sitting at the Bingo and trying to win a teddy bear. I donâ??t think I ever did win one. Then we sauntered along the promenade.

The first attraction to jump out was the donkeys. Grabbing my mothers hand and pulling her down to the beach so as I could get a ride on one (No dirty comments). What has this got to do with rangers you are probably asking? Well the truth is totally nothing but bide with me. Further down the beach a crowd of kids were gathered sitting cross legged in front of a small tent. As we approached we realised it was a Punch and Judy show.

I got to thinking just how much the current Rangers situation is like a Punch and Judy show. At first I thought Rangers were Judy and she was taking a right hammering from Punch who was the SPL chairmen. Even the Policeman (Regan) had turned his baton on her. The crocodile in the Punch and Judy show fits in perfect with the fans of the other clubs all waiting to have a bite at the meat. Unfortunately even the Baby who I picture as some of the players also seem to have taken the moment to pick up a stick and have a swipe at Judy.

All the kids started hissing at every move Punch made.

Wait a minute nobody likes Punch! Maybe Rangers are not Judy, Maybe we are Punch! After all nobody likes us but we donâ??t care. That is exactly what Punch would say. While we like to admit it or not Rangers are portrayed to having played a bullies role over the years and we always seem to have people booing and hissing at us. It certainly fits in with our Scottish football Punch and Judy show. The hangman and the devil are also characters that appear in a Punch and Judy shows.

In my Scottish football adaptation they both play a leading role. The Devil, well that has to be David Murray the man who started the whole sorry tale. The hangman ties in superbly with all the SPL chairmen who have their noose ready waiting to place it round Punchâ??s neck on the 4th of July. The bungling Policeman remains to be Mr Regan in this production. Judy who has taken the hardest hits has now became the HMRC

Of course in every puppet show there is a puppet master and there is no bonus for guessing who he must be, eh Mr Lawell. The puppet master always had an assistant to collect the money. In this production it is Celtic Football Club that are looking to be grabbing the cash so they have to be the puppeteers assistant. What a coincidence it is that the people collecting money at Punch and Judy shows are called bottlers. The title couldnâ??t have been more apt for Mr Lawells assistants.

The story goes that Punch hammers Judy with his slapstick. The bungling Policeman comes in and arrests Punch. The hangman puts the rope around Punchâ??s neck ready to hang him.

Then there is a twist in the story. Punch always gets out of the noose and manages to get it round the hangmanâ??s neck.

Just as in the puppet theatre Rangers will eventually get out of the noose.

The Question will be how tight it is strapped round the hangmanâ??s neck.