CHRIS GRAHAM - Charles Green doesnâ??t have to be pantomime villain

Itâ??s been a week of extreme emotions for Rangers fans. We plumbed the depths with news that HMRC were rejecting the CVA proposal, and then scaled the heights of Walter Smith announcing a bid for the club.

Someone said to me that it was like something out of a cowboy movie â?? the Blue Knights posse had disappeared over the horizon weeks before, only for a lone rider in the form of Walter Smith to come cantering back.

I think I should say from the outset that I bear Charles Green no ill will and I donâ??t think many Rangers fans do, for the moment. Green has made the point that he stepped up with the required cash, although some would argue he gambled on raising it and won. I think it would be unfortunate to have to demand his removal and I hope it doesnâ??t come to that. However, the past week has not been a good one for Green.

His positive outlook on the CVA turned out to be false hope. Claims of £30million in the bank, 20 investors and 19 singing targets are looking even more unlikely now than when they were first made. None of this could have happened on day one, but it seems Green was scrambling at the last minute just to fund the purchase of the assets for the â??newcoâ?. His investors all appear to be from investment firms or family trusts and it remains to be seen who the people behind these firms are.

Reports that one investor has been wanted by Interpol are not encouraging for Rangers fans that have had to suffer a year of Craig Whyteâ??s lies. There were also reports that Greenâ??s main backer, to the tune of £4m, pulled out after doing due diligence on his fellow investors. Greenâ??s desperate courting of Scottish businessmen in an attempt to raise funds for the asset sale has clearly spooked Jim McColl who, along with Douglas Park, now backs Smith. Both have been involved in the bidding previously and it is a measure of how concerned they are about Green that they have come back in.

In a bizarre twist, one of the men named as an investor by Green turned out to be backing Walter Smithâ??s group instead. Ian Hart issued a statement distancing himself from Green almost as soon as he had been named.

I donâ??t think there is any doubt now that Green has lost the backing of Ally McCoist. Thursdayâ??s press carried news that McCoist was on the brink of resignation. He cut a forlorn figure at the creditors meeting and refused to answer questions. Since then, Green has been desperately insisting that McCoist is still on board. On Friday they met, and Green announced it was a positive meeting, but the silence from McCoist spoke volumes to the fans. He returned to his holiday without a word of support for Green and amid reports of the players also being unhappy. A great deal of goodwill will be required to retain the current playing staff.

This does not have to end in conflict. Charles Green is here to make money for himself and his investors. He makes no secret of that and nor should he have to. He has the chance to turn a profit and put the club into the hands of people the Rangers fans trust. He can come out of this with both a financial return and his reputation intact but the longer he waits the less likely that is. There is already talk of a fan rally on 23 June. Signing season ticket renewal forms and storing them en masse until the club is in Walter Smithâ??s hands has also been suggested. The very clear message is that the fans are willing to back the club but would much prefer it to be in the hands of Smith.

After all that has happened with Craig Whyte and David Murray before him, the fans need security and you donâ??t get a safer pair of hands at Rangers than Walter Smith. This Rangers pantomime does not need to have a new villain. Mr Green should take his money and run.

http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sunday/sport/rangers-liquidation-charles-green-doesn-t-have-to-be-pantomime-villain-1-2359955

â?¢ Chris Graham is a Rangers season ticket holder and writer for therangersstandard.co.uk

I would take a guess and say Smith etc will be the new owners by the end of next week.;)

The longer it takes the more money Green and Co will have to spend on running the Club.

So I would say it will be sooner rather than later.

I would take a guess and say Smith etc will be the new owners by the end of next week.;)

The longer it takes the more money Green and Co will have to spend on running the Club.

So I would say it will be sooner rather than later.

I'm not so sure mate. green brough over tv cash and sponsorship money as well as season book cash from the oldco.

he will be ok for a good while without putting a penny in.

This is spot on - without showing Rangers any favour, he's reported on some behind the scenes stuff we otherwise wouldn't have known, and hasn't resorted to childish name calling which fans of all clubs are well used to.

I'm not so sure mate. green brough over tv cash and sponsorship money as well as season book cash from the oldco.

he will be ok for a good while without putting a penny in.

He shouldn't have to put a penny in if the club is run correctly.

He shouldn't have to put a penny in if the club is run correctly.

you mean if costs are cut.

spending on for example the stadium reduced.

but even then working capital will be an issue.

wage budget might need to be as low as 8 to 10 million. what if Davis decides he's staying on 2 million a year? 20 to 25% of the budget gone at a stroke.

greigs 1.5 million.

jigs already staying at a million.

half the budget gone on 3 players perhaps.