McCoist - l had to contemplate my future

ALLY McCOIST last night admitted he was hours from quitting Rangers but â??stepped back from the brinkâ? after crunch talks with Charles Green.

McCoist confirmed the Record Sport story that he was set to leave the club after a row on Wednesday with newco chief executive Green.

The manager believed heâ??d been put in an impossible position when told by a former director that Green was planning on getting rid of him.

But after an early-morning meeting yesterday the pair agreed to end the feud which led to McCoist deciding he would remain in his post.

And last night McCoist confirmed our story. He said: â??Itâ??s fair to say I didnâ??t deny that line at any time.

â??At first, when I was told there might have been a move to get me out my reaction was natural. I was furious.

â??I did confront Charles Green about it on Wednesday. I was looking for answers and that meeting didnâ??t end well.

â??I was then left with no other option but to contemplate my future believing that I wasnâ??t part of the plans.

â??It was clear we had to sit down and talk about all of this and we had another meeting yesterday.

â??Iâ??ve reassessed my position and taken a step back from the brink.

â??As things stand at the moment I am still manager.

â??At critical times we all have to consider our futures but having said that the most important thing is not my future or what happens with Charles Green.

â??The most important thing is the future of my club.

â??Right now that is all that matters. So letâ??s all just see what happens but it must always be the right thing

for Rangers.�

McCoistâ??s fury erupted on Wednesday but everything changed a day later when a wealthy and powerful

consortium headed by his mentor Walter Smith broke cover declaring they wanted to buy out Greenâ??s group.

Green paid only £5.5million for the assets of the old club after it was pushed into liquidation by HMRC but suddenly, despite his bluster, he found himself under pressure he didnâ??t expect.

Rangers fans made it clear they wouldnâ??t be buying into his scheme, his day of triumph was undermined and he had to deal with the McCoist fall-out.

In an attempt to claw back some credibility with the fans Green tried desperately to rubbish Record Sportâ??s story â?? with The Sun only too willing to swallow the line because theyâ??ve been so far off the pace for more than a year â?? and then pressed for a meeting with McCoist yesterday.

They met at 7.30am at the Glasgow offices of the clubâ??s lawyers and McCoist agreed to stay on.

Smithâ??s group, which includes bus tycoon Douglas Park and Jim McColl, regarded as one of Scotlandâ??s wealthiest men, have been told theyâ??ll have to come up with £20m to purchase the club, which is in keeping with Greenâ??s outrageous statements.

Even though he is given to hyperbole Green knows he canâ??t succeed without the fans and they have made it clear they wonâ??t buy season and they want him to deal with Smithâ??s group.

Last night this consortium were still confident of buying Greenâ??s people out believing the fans will line up behind them in ever greater numbers in the days ahead

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footbal...6908-23896615/

Guest Dutchy

There was a pow-wow on BBC Radio Scotland about this yesterday and they claim the ex-director was King.

Apparently, as they put it, Green, McCoist and King were having a conference call meeting and Green asked King why he told Ally he was going to sack him. King said because you did say that, Green said he didn't, King said you did, Green said he didn't. On and on until Green broke the connection.

It was a great comedy piece, in the way they potrayed it, but I wouldn't totally discount the story completely, just because it comes from a bunch of septic supporting bums.

Green stated in his original Press Conference that Ally was part of the plans. I can only imagine the two met and had a disagreement about Walter Smith or something else, which left Ally wondering if he wanted to stay.

Remember, that article didn't say Green was going to fire Ally, just that Ally was contemplating his own future in light of the meeting.

Now it seems they've smoothed it out and it's forgotten about.

There was a pow-wow on BBC Radio Scotland about this yesterday and they claim the ex-director was King.

Apparently, as they put it, Green, McCoist and King were having a conference call meeting and Green asked King why he told Ally he was going to sack him. King said because you did say that, Green said he didn't, King said you did, Green said he didn't. On and on until Green broke the connection.

It was a great comedy piece, in the way they potrayed it, but I wouldn't totally discount the story completely, just because it comes from a bunch of septic supporting bums.

That story conflicts with what King was quoted as saying about the situation by one of the papers the other day. King said Green had told him he was going to cut the management team salaries in half. He didn't say Green had told him he was sacking Ally.