John Yorkston wants to relegate "newco"

Depending on the sanctions, there might not be much difference financially between us being in the SPL or going to the bottom tier

Apart from the US vs them fixtures, attendances in English Div2 are similar the that in the SPL.

Peter Houston was "embarrassed" at his side's 5-0 defeat at Rangers in midweek but was happy with the way his side responded against the other half of the Old Firm.

"I was proud of them this time," he said. "I was hoping for a reaction and I got a reaction."

The Tannadice boss then entered the debate about the future of the administration-hit Ibrox club.

United chairman Stephen Thompson admitted earlier in the day that there is dilemma facing the SPL board over what to do with a 'newco' Rangers, if such a situation arises.

Thompson is part of the league's board that will vote on preferred bidder Bill Miller's proposal for Rangers to retain its place in Scotland's top tier, and told BBC Scotland: "This season we got £1.4m from the SPL. If we only get £200,000 to £300,000, then how do we fill the £1m?

"But fans are talking about boycotts. It's a lose-lose situation."

Houston said: "I think we need to keep Rangers in the SPL. Supporters all over the country will disagree with me but being at the sharp end of it with regards what it could do for Scottish football, we need them.

"If £600,000 was cut off my budget, I would have hardly anything left.

"I am just being honest. Rangers have to be punished, how I don't know but it wouldn't help us for Rangers to drop into the Third Division

On a sidenote, anyone actually checked whether it is actually in the rules that a club in administration is being relegated to Div 3, or for that matter, a newco? The last times this happened was because a) Gretna could not fullfill the fixture list, while b) Livingston was not able to pay their bills. Either commitment would be fullfilled by Rangers next season.

All the talk of the 3rd Division is based on one of two scenarios:

1) - The SPL don't vote in favour of allowing a newco Rangers to play in the SPL next season. This is highly unlikely to happen IMO, but if it did, then we would have to apply to play in another league such as the SFL (probably starting at the bottom, so Div 3). This is also a scenario where we would be within our rights to apply to play in a league outwith Scotland (also very unlikely to happen).

2) - The SPL vote to hammer a newco Rangers allowed to play in the SPL with extremely harsh sanctions. If this were to happen, then Rangers would be within it's rights to not accept the punishments and resign from the league. This is also highly unlikely to happen IMO because resigning from the SPL would not be looked on favourably by other league authorities and it would make applications to play in other leagues less likely to succeed.

In summary then, I'd say that all this talk of Rangers playing in the Scottish 3rd Division next season is a load of piffle. It's highly unlikely to happen, so I really don't know why the media are peddling this crap, because the chances of a Rangers newco not being allowed to play in the SPL next season are almost zero. Assuming the club survives, we will be playing in the SPL.

Yorkston's position on this should NEVER, EVER be forgotten. In years to come his club should be fully boycotted if we play in the same league as them.

Yorkston's position on this should NEVER, EVER be forgotten. In years to come his club should be fully boycotted if we play in the same league as them.

All these people who want to see Rangers harmed as much as possible,even though it seriously harms their own clubs,should be ashamed and if what they want to happen to Rangers does then they will happily sit back and watch the death of their own clubs content that Rangers are punished severely,pathetic really.

All these people who want to see Rangers harmed as much as possible,even though it seriously harms their own clubs,should be ashamed and if what they want to happen to Rangers does then they will happily sit back and watch the death of their own clubs content that Rangers are punished severely,pathetic really.

Shouldn't that be how the clubs should base their voting, instead of using self-preservation as a get out clause?