An analysis of the Bill MIller bid for RFC

Saturday, 21 April 2012 00:14

Bill Miller is Chairman of Miller Industries, a group of companies which builds tow trucks, recovery vehicles and transporters. In the year to 31 December 2011 it had Sales of $402m and profits after tax of $23m. It has a subsidiary named Boniface Engineering in Thetford, Norfolk, England. It is listed on the New York Stock Exchange; at today's closing share price it has a market capitalisation of $182m. at 31 December 2012 it had cash of $50m.

A: Bid or not yet?

1.Mr Miller's statement today refers to making a bid on Monday 23 April 2012. It does not describe a bid already made, acceptable to D&P or otherwise.

2.Mr Miller refers to "grandstanding" and "15 minutes of fame". His statement has the flavour of grandstanding throughout.

3.He calls himself one of "three qualified bidders". He has not yet bid. D&P have "made crystal clear" that only unqualified bids will be accepted for consideration before a preferred bidder is nominated. Mr Miller's bid is riddled with conditions.

4.He says "I have held a series of talks over the past week with officials from the SPL and SFA ..." He then states “My offer is contingent upon the regulatory bodies agreeing that the club will begin play in the 2012/13 season in the SPL and that they will do so without any loss of points and with all historic titles intact. I will not acquire the club unless I receive written assurances from both regulatory bodies to this effect." What verbal assurances has he received to make him believe that written assurances will be forthcoming? That is simply not deliverable by the Administrators. It ignores possible UEFA sanctions.

5.He says "I am acutely aware that the club will require working capital and this will be assessed in more detail in coming weeks as the due diligence progresses". How long does he expect due diligence to take? How much attention has he paid to information in the electronic data room?

B: CVA or something else?

1.It is on the matter of the CVA process that his lack of understanding ought to provoke real concern to D&P.

2.He simply does not understand what the process of exit from Administration by CVA entails. He may not even understand what a CVA is.

3.For his information, a CVA is a collective rehabilitation process where 75% of creditors voting can accept a proposal which sets an amount payable at which amounts due to them are settled, less than the full amount due. This vote binds all other creditors existing as at that date to accept this reduced settlement. It usually comprises a series of payments over a number of years, normally three to five years. It is proposed by a "Nominee", the nominated Supervisor, who becomes the Supervisor when the Arrangement has been approved.

4.Funding of this settlement usually comes from an amount made available by an incoming investor, plus amounts from the earnings in future years. Where prize money or television money arises through success in competitions, a proportion of this upside would normally go to into the pot of settlement funding.

5.He says " ... I have proposed a purchase of the club through a CVA from the beginning." This implies he has intended to set up a newco from the beginning; if so he should purchase from administration and leave the Administrators to liquidate the insolvent company. No need for the expense of a CVA!

6.He talks of an incubator company. He does not define what an incubator company is. He offers no examples of how this has worked in the past. He produces a paragraph of utter nonsense talking about D&P working to make the sick patient healthy through a CVA process that effectively works to radiate the toxicity of past administrations' sins ..." The most silly statement comes in the last sentence of the paragraph - "Once the CVA process has been completed and the patient is on the mend, the Administrators will return Rangers Football Club plc to me for a nominal sum." What? Administration ends with entry into a CVA. What does he mean "Return"? By what means will the incubated company be reunited with the "patient"? All nonsense.

7.He intends to bid £11.2m, the sum which includes the £500k non-refundable deposit. The assets of the Club per the Statement of Affairs within the Joint Administrators Report is £134m. The net asset surplus after paying all creditors, including full settlement of the Ticketus claim, apart from any liability arising from the 1st Tier Tribunal decision is £60m. His offer appears derisory in the face of these values.

8.What security will the creditors have in respect of future contributions to the CVA pot? A guarantee from Mr Miller secured over Mr Miller’s personal assets?

9.What security over pre-CVA assets will the creditors require so as to make recovery should the CVA fail?

10.What anti-embarrassment clause will the creditors seek to insert and rely on to ensure that part way through the CVA the assets are not simply sold on from the incubator at a substantial profit without them receiving all or any of the windfall?

C: Ticketus – how will they be treated?

1.His thinking is equally disordered over the Ticketus position. He boldly says "... I am the only bidder who has refused to entertain offers from Ticketus or engage in discussion with Craig Whyte." He later asserts "There is no way Ticketus would agree to a 'pence in the pound' settlement as has been suggested by others".

2.If he has not spoken to Ticketus, how does he know what Ticketus will accept?

3.If they will not accept 'pence in the pound' from where does he see payment in full? It cannot be from a CVA and it will not be from him. Again, all nonsense.

D: Operations in this limbo of incubation

1.What exactly does Mr Miller think he will acquire into the incubator company? How does £11.2m stack up with these acquired assets?

2.Which Rangers will be the Rangers licensed by SPL + SFA? The incubating one or the one in CVA?

3.Which Rangers will own the rights to the players’ contracts? Will they be transferred for a fee to the incubator, or allowed to expire at the end of their contract period?

4.Who will own the land and property assets of the club?

In summary

Mr Miller is proposing an unworkable solution, based on a complete misunderstanding of the insolvency legislation in play, and with no real understanding of the future funding required, all based on a derisory offer not yet made in writing. D&P should not entertain this, far less regard it as a “structure with potential. If it were not that his understanding is so glaringly deficient, it would look like he is dressing up a liquidation / newco scenario in bamboozling terms.

Think it's pretty clear my ideas are only welcome over on RM. Sorry I couldn't do more for over here, Frankie.

Leave you with this little taste of how the Trust treats supporters who don't toe the line:

Rangers Supporters ‏ @rangersfctrust

An analysis of the Bill MIller bid for RFChttp://www.rangerssupporterstrust.co.uk/rstsite/latest-rst-news/450-an-analysis- of-the-bill-miller-bid-for-RFC via @rangersfctrust

Shane Nicholson ‏ @ShaneANicholson

@rangersfctrust Wow... just wow. Must feel pretty good about Mini getting the Xmas goose, eh?

@ShaneANicholson I always have roast for Christmas, Shane.

@rangersfctrust I'm a ham man, myself.

@rangersfctrust Lot of assumptions in there. Guessing you still haven't gotten to Miller..?

@ShaneANicholson On @GersNetOnline you said you have been in touch. Pass it on and prove us wrong.

@rangersfctrust @GersNetOnline You read my same info that proved true this morning. Your analysis reeks of rhetoric and speculation

@rangersfctrust @GersNetOnline And when all the other people involved want to start sharing their sources, I'll pass mine right along.

@rangersfctrust @GersNetOnline Couldn't even be bothered to pull financials on Miller Ind's until today, I'd reckon.

@ShaneANicholson @GersNetOnline So you won't pass it on to be proved otherwise?

@rangersfctrust @GersNetOnline Use the info in front of you first to come up with something slightly less biased and we'll have a chat

@rangersfctrust At least @GersNetOnline has the decency to not plaster broad assertions under their homepage banner

@rangersfctrust How many people do you have tracking down info? One guy with a laptop in TN, "too far from Ibrox" just a couple months ago

@ShaneANicholson @GersNetOnline Prove us otherwise right now.

@rangersfctrust @GersNetOnline Love the ultimatum. Your duplicity speaks volumes. "Heart of the club" indeed...

@ShaneANicholson Would you prefer this:http://www.twitlonger.com/index.php/main_new

@rangersfctrust And condescending to boot! Do you alwys ask othrs to do leg work for you, or just have no sense of professional integrity?

@ShaneANicholson The 'others' are members who are entitled to express, help or advise. Bed time for me. All the best!

@rangersfctrust Then maybe they should've started with a simple google search. Southern hospitality goes a long way in these parts.

Edited by Shane
You can't "tow" a line. Probably.

Appears to me the RST "analysis" consisted of little more than conjecture and fear-mongering than any real analysis, and they expect someone who out legged them to the line to hand over info given to them in confidence by berating them in a public forum. Surely they treated Frankie the same when he was filtering info for Ng's bid.

I think you were warning me about passing along anything to journo's with the wrong intentions last night; what are the RST's intentions now?

I'm also disgusted that by passing along what info I felt comfortable with, specifically the split-CO plan, in a very Bear-friendly area is used as a means to attack a fellow supporter. Nothing I said didn't check out, yet they're happy enough to intentionally confuse and mislead people and take me to task for not compiling a dossier for them.

Edited by Shane

Appears to me the RST "analysis" consisted of little more than conjecture and fear-mongering than any real analysis, and they expect someone who out legged them to the line to hand over info given to them in confidence by berating them in a public forum. Surely they treated Frankie the same when he was filtering info for Ng's bid.

I think you were warning me about passing along anything to journo's with the wrong intentions last night; what are the RST's intentions now?

It's certainly a hatchet job on the Miller bid Shane, but I'm not particularly suprised by it since the RST are openly coming out all guns blazing to support The Blue Knights and have been for a quite a while now.

What I can assure you of is that Gersnet is neither pro or anti RST. They are criticised here on a regular basis and none of it is ever censored because the forum prides itself on being as balanced as possible.

I can't personally speak about what's been going on on Twitter because I haven't been following that side of things to any great degree.

I'm also disgusted that by passing along what info I felt comfortable with, specifically the split-CO plan, in a very Bear-friendly area is used as a means to attack a fellow supporter.

You have to understand that some RST board members (and plenty regular RST members) are members of this forum just as they are members of other forums, so if you feel that information you've posted here has been used in a wrongful way it's an issue between yourself and the RST.

There's all sorts of people browsing and participating here that could take information any of us post and turn it into a site article, mainstream media article, hatchet job or whatever, but that's the nature of forums and Gersnet is no different from FF, RM or others in that respect.

Edited by Zappa

I appreciate that there are RST members on here. Their organization turned my willingness to share information into a hatchet job on me without any prior effort to reach out. Strange, since they don't mind having members come round and see what else I'm up to these days.

As for the twitter bit, what I posted was our exact dialogue. Anyone who wants can check my timeline for confirmation.

And I may have overreacted toward this forum. Some of you over here are top drawer, no intent to insinuate otherwise.

Anyway, my analysis of their steaming load:

Points A 1-5: Recite quotes; offer opinion with no citation or info to back up any of it; insinuate lack of business knowledge or support structure in place from a man they just pointed out is the chairman of a very successful and stable multinational company.

B1: Insulting conjecture (IC). Chairman of a multinational that did $403m in sales last year. Quickly forgotten again.

B2: IC + unfounded speculation. Apparently assuming Miller drew up his entire bid on a bar napkin without counsel.

B3: Wikipedia School of Finance (WSoF)

B4: WSoF + IC. Man's made plenty of money, understands how it works.

B5: Blatant 180 of Conjecture. He says x; implies he actually said y. For people so lacking in trust of the admins they seem to want them involved in the CVA. "No extra cost" is relative to the bidder's plans, as are terms of CVA.

B6: Possibly most insulting and condescending part of the whole thing. Couldn't even be bothered to check Wikipedia for info on this.

B7: IC. "Derisory" bid of £11.2m. Were any other lesser offers termed this way by RST?

B8: Throwaway point. If you want to know go ask.

B9: To borrow, RST "may not even understand what a CVA is".

B10: See last two comments.

C 1-3: RST only able/willing to see Ticketus as a partner in a winning bid. Wearing blinders.

D 1-4: Speculation and unanswered questions. An "analysis" usually analyzes information, not simply restates it in the form of a question.

Summary section: Complete and utter speculation and fear-mongering.

Did the BK’s offer the £500,000 fee with out conditions?

There’s a simple scenario here. If TBK’s or any other bidder had made a good solid offer weeks ago D&F would be long gone and we’d be rebuilding for next season and peoples personal lives with their families wouldn’t be strained like mine, and i have no doubt many others is as we’re spending to much time online and on the phone to people. People wouldn’t be getting in the shit at work for spending too much time online, Peoples health wouldn’t be suffering.

TBK’s need to put up or seriously get to fuck. If this guy gets us and takes down the dreaded road of liquidation then TBK’s and each and every Rangers fans deserves what they get. This guy is last chance saloon, he is going to take us into liquidation, but each and every one of us have known that, or at least highly suspected it for a MONTH

Yes this is all DM fault. But we’ve had more than enough time to start to “fix” the Rangers we love. But one thing this whole mess has highlighted in big bright floodlights is we as Rangers fans can’t work together. The thought of fan ownership is laughable.

TBK”s are supposed to be 10 mega millionaires that love Rangers. Well it’s not been proved that they have the money, or it’s been proved that their love for Rangers isn’t as deep as penny pinching is.

I also don’t believe that the share issue will work as the RFFF has been poor if we’re honest with ourselves. I know you can argue that people are saving for the share issue to be raised, that’s fair enough, but my own honest opinion is it won’t be enough and we’re going to find ourselves back here very soon.

Brain Kennedy needs to buy us with or with out the BK’s with an open cheque book.

The clock is ticking, the gloves are off and Shit just got very fucking real>

SORT IT OUT OR WE ARE GONE FOREVER