Intensity of Old Firm clash blew me away, admits Brian Kennedy

Mar 30 2012 Exclusive by David McCarthy

BRIAN KENNEDY last night admitted he was blown away by the intensity and passion of Sundayâ??s Old Firm clash.

And the Cheshire-based millionaire businessman insisted the Rangersâ?? fans backing of their team has proved to him he was right to enter the bidding for the club.

Kennedy watched Rangersâ?? 3-2 defeat of Celtic from the club deck, sitting alongside former Ibrox player-boss Graeme Souness whom it is believed he wanted as part of his set-up had he taken control.

Kennedy is now out of the running to take over Rangers but insisted everything he witnessed on Sunday vindicated his decision to become involved.

He said: â??I have been to many Old Firm games and I spent most of my teenage years in Glasgow. Iâ??ve always been a great admirer of Rangers, albeit Iâ??m a Hibs fan.

â??That match on Sunday: I used to call it an institution â?? a religion. It is not a religion. It is not an institution. That match is a small country.

â??The intensity was unbelievable. What I was so delighted about was the festivity and the spirit of the Rangers supporters.

â??They have been through hell. They have been humiliated and goaded by their enemies.

â??But they came out with festivity, joy, cheer and emotion. It was just a wonderful thing to witness. It was a release of all the pent-up frustration and anguish.

â??It was just a tremendous force. The class of the club and its history, itâ??s absolutely second to none and the way the supporters conducted themselves on Sunday echoed that.

â??It was not hostile or aggressive. There was not one sectarian song and anyone coming along could not criticise Rangers or Celtic fans. All they could do was stand back and admire the spirit of the crowd.

â??I canâ??t speak for what might or might not have happened away from the stadium but inside the ground during the game, it was just a fantastic display of camaraderie, good spirit and festivity.â?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2012/03/30/intensity-of-old-firm-clash-blew-me-away-admits-brian-kennedy-86908-23806824/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter