Strach: I blue it on first day in Celtic job

STUNNED former Celtic boss Gordon Strachan has revealed he sparked controversy by wearing a BLUE shirt on his first day at Parkhead.

The ex-Hoops manager also admitted he had to change his car when he joined the club because it was the same colour.

And speaking in a hard-hitting football documentary, former Scotland idol Strachan claimed the religious divide in Scotland is getting worse.

He said: "It borders on evil. When people get murdered for wearing a different colour, then that is evil.

"There is no hiding place in Scotland. There was a reaction when I wore a blue shirt on my first day at Celtic. That sums it up.

"I had to change my car. I had a blue car and I was advised to change it."

Strachan â?? who won three league titles with the Hoops between 2005 and 2009 â?? spoke out during a TV interview about Maurice Johnston's controversial move to Rangers in 1989.

Graeme Souness signed the ex-Celtic star as he was set to rejoin the Parkhead club, making him the Ibrox side's first Catholic player in modern times â?? and sparking outrage among both sets of Old Firm fans.

But Strachan â?? appearing on ITV show 20 Football Transfers That Shook The World â?? insisted the shock move had not eased sectarian tensions here.

He added: "Mo was brave in doing that, there is no doubt about that, and so was Graeme, but it has not broken down any barriers.

"At a recent Rangers and Celtic game there were 300 arrests. The jails in Glasgow literally couldn't hold any more people.

"I think that it is getting even worse now.

"I wish we could have said that it broke down barriers and we all lived happily ever after in the west of Scotland, but it has not changed a bit."

Controversial anti-bigotry laws were forced through the Scottish Parliament last year. The SNP used their majority to pass the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications Bill in a 64-57 vote.

The new legislation gives the police powers to deal with sectarian and offensive chanting and threatening behaviour likely to cause public disorder.

At the time, Lord Advocate Frank Mulholland QC described the Bill as "one of the most important pieces of legislation to be passed by the Scottish Parliament".

However, some critics of the Bill claim the law changes could actually make sectarian problems worse.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/4095439/Strach-I-blue-it-on-first-day-in-Celtic-job.html#ixzz1ktbFabQi