Matt McKay staying, says agent

RANGERS midfielder Matt McKay is going nowhere in the current transfer window, according to the playerâ??s agent.

The Aussie international had been mulling over offers from South Korea and Saudia Arabia, but he is determined to stay at Ibrox and fight for his place.

McKay has made just three appearances since he arrived at the club in the summer from Brisbane Roar but his agent John Viola has said the player will not be forced into a move now.

And his agent has also maintained the fear of losing his international place will not force him out the Ibrox exit door.

"Matt is an established international player," said Viola. "If he doesnâ??t play for six months there is still no danger he will fall out of favour with the national squad.

"It is fair to say there has been interest in him in the window from elsewhere, but he is really determined to force his way into Ally McCoistâ??s side."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/matt-mckay-staying-says-agent-1.1145460

from a reliable source, or just another rumour?

Just another rumour I suppose. The way we operate in the transfer market these days makes you wonder though.

I don't have any reliable sources. :D

Edited by Gazza_8

Heard a wee rumour that McKay was a Gordon Smith signing.

It seems to be a very convenient way to justify a failed signing. The 3 who didn't make their mark (Ortiz, Bedoya and McKay) 'weren't Ally signings'.

All the ones who have done well, were.

I'm not entirely convinced Ally would take a player he hadn't given the thumbs up to. Perhaps it really is just the case that 5 or 6 of his signings have worked out really well, and 3 haven't? Pretty decent return for a rookie manager if you ask me.

When you consider what was being said about McKay before we signed him, I find it difficult to decide how good he really is on the basis of 3 appearances.

Rothan got more than that, and after a resonable start, he proved to be rotten. He also was very vocal in wanting away, but Matt wants to fight for his place.

Maybe he should ask Kerkar how long that fight might be?

When you consider what was being said about McKay before we signed him, I find it difficult to decide how good he really is on the basis of 3 appearances.

Rothan got more than that, and after a resonable start, he proved to be rotten. He also was very vocal in wanting away, but Matt wants to fight for his place.

Maybe he should ask Kerkar how long that fight might be?

Disagree on Rothen - he was made the scapegoat for our defeat to Unirea which I found utterly unfair. He was dropped after that match and never featured significantly again. I wasn't surprised he wanted away - Walter treated a few players poorly, him, Gow, Buffel.

Disagree on Rothen - he was made the scapegoat for our defeat to Unirea which I found utterly unfair. He was dropped after that match and never featured significantly again. I wasn't surprised he wanted away - Walter treated a few players poorly, him, Gow, Buffel.

Not sure how you can determine that to be honest. On the face of what we see as supporters this stance could be supported. However, we just simply dont know what is happening behind the scenes.

Gow, for me, would be the perfect example. Lost his father IIRC, and still flew out to LA, played excellently (according to McCoist, I believe) and then wasnt heard from again. That, to me, suggests that there was more at play than just the lad's ability to play the game. But, even if he didnt feature simply because WS didnt fancy him, does that really mean he has been treated poorly ? Or just that WS picked a team that he felt could win a game (and, to be fair to WS, he did do that).

What I remember about Rothen was his debue was a European game. He was putting in some decent balls and was maybe our best player on the night. He certainly looked good to me, but the more he played, the worse he got and it wasn't too long when he started moaning about being dropped.

Besides what the facts were, I still say that we can't judge McKay on so little play time. I'm not claiming he's great, I just don't know based on some sub appearances. Even when he started, he didn't play a whole game. I don't think so anyway.