Kyle Lafferty: My sectarian abuse every day

RANGERS star Kyle Lafferty yesterday told a court how he is bombarded with sectarian slurs "every day".

The 24-year-old Gers striker described his ordeal as he gave evidence against Reice Harrison, 16 â?? who is charged with shouting bigoted abuse and hurling a brick at the striker's car.

Lafferty told Paisley Sheriff Court how the 4x4's window was smashed near a Morrisons store as his pregnant girlfriend, ex-Miss Scotland Nicola Mimnagh, sat inside.

The Northern Ireland ace said it came after Harrison called him an "orange c***" and a "p****" in the supermarket's car park.

Asked by Harrison's defence lawyer Gordon Ritchie to describe the sectarian problems he encounters in general, Lafferty said it happens "every day, probably".

The player added: "When you play for a club someone else does not like, you get the same abuse. You just have to ignore them."

Lafferty told how he and Nicola had been followed around the store in Johnstone, Renfrewshire, by Harrison and two pals, who made "a nuisance of themselves".

But in the car park Harrison and his friends are said to have started yelling abuse at Lafferty.

The Gers hero said he then told Nicola to get into the car but was aware of the same three youths running after them.

Lafferty said he was filling up his Jeep at the nearby petrol station when he heard a "loud thump" and the window smash.

He added Harrison, of Johnstone, was the only member of the trio who was close enough to have thrown the brick.

Lafferty revealed he was "gutted" because he'd had the Jeep for just two weeks.

The ex-Burnley star added: "I don't want people shouting things like 'orange c***' at me. I just don't think it is acceptable."

Harrison denies assault and sectarian breach of the peace last November 21. The trial has been adjourned for further evidence.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/4086912/Kyle-Lafferty-My-sectarian-abuse-every-day.html#ixzz1kYJbrpyf

You think a Rangers fan would get away with that and it not be reported?

So your saying it's ok for Laff and his pregnant girlfriend to be followed around a supermarket by this scum then have his car window caved in because we would do the same to one of them. Or is it because it's big Laff that you don't really care.

Does my tits in on here that everytime a story like this comes up the first thing mentioned is we have fans like that, that do just as bad if not worse.

Edited by GovanAllan

You think a Rangers fan would get away with that and it not be reported?

So your saying it's ok for Laff and his pregnant girlfriend to be followed around a supermarket by this scum then have his car window caved in because we would do the same to one of them. Or is it because it's big Laff that you don't really care.

Does my tits in on here that everytime a story like this comes up the first thing mentioned is we have fans like that, that do just as bad if not worse.

Calm down and show me where I said it was OK? Of course it happens to Celtic players, it's the society we live in that there's scum doing this and thinking it's cool or funny.

Calm down and show me where I said it was OK? Of course it happens to Celtic players, it's the society we live in that there's scum doing this and thinking it's cool or funny.

So what was the point you were trying to make?

There will be people who have seen it, have heard it, and when checking these lads' flats they will see what team they support. Maybe someone one here or FF actually knows them and name and shame them. Throwing stones at someone should see them in deep trouble.

As for Gazza_8's comment, I simply assume he meant that we also have lunatics (aged 15 to 25) amongst our support who will tell any Hooped Horror they meet all sorts of cosy names and the like. And if they do, the press will scream in splashy headlines for weeks.

There will be people who have seen it, have heard it, and when checking these lads' flats they will see what team they support. Maybe someone one here or FF actually knows them and name and shame them. Throwing stones at someone should see them in deep trouble.

As for Gazza_8's comment, I simply assume he meant that we also have lunatics (aged 15 to 25) amongst our support who will tell any Hooped Horror they meet all sorts of cosy names and the like. And if they do, the press will scream in splashy headlines for weeks.

I assume we have lunatics older than 25, well older.

And there will be some Celtic players who receive the same abuse from Rangers fans.

Why do you always feel the need to balance up a story ? This is about an ACTUAL incident that took place, so why not just condemn it instead of having to balance it up with "we are as bad as them" remarks ?

I dont disagree with you, we have our scum element too, clubs cant avoid the knuckle draggers - but I fail to see the need to balance it out all the time.

His girlfriend was fucking pregnant - this little scrotum could easily have caused a miscarriage - put yourself in that situation with your own heavily pregnant Mrs, would you have been quite so flippant as to say "Ach, Gers fans are just as bad, no big deal" ? I doubt it.