Motherwell boss Stuart McCall blasts BBC

Motherwell's Michael Higdon hits leveller against Dundee Utd on Saturday before his alleged gesture

STUART McCALL last night insisted players are facing trial by Sportscene and vowed to fight any ban dished out to Michael Higdon.

The Motherwell striker will discover today if he is to face action from SFA compliance officer Vincent Lunny over an alleged gesture to his own fans during Saturdayâ??s 1-1 draw with Dundee United.

The incident was flagged up on Sportsceneâ??s Sunday highlights along with Leigh Griffithsâ?? one-fingered salute to Hibs fans in the 3-2 defeat by St Johnstone.

Easter Road star Griffiths has already been punished twice for gesturing to punters and is set to cop a third ban.

But Fir Park boss McCall insists thereâ??s no comparison with the Higdon incident because the Scouser â?? who had taken stick from the Well support â?? could have been gesturing at him after scoring.

And he fears BBC Scotland editors are now setting the agenda instead of Lunny.

Ahead of tonightâ??s game with Dunfermline, McCall said: â??Higdonâ??s gesture was nothing. But the bottom line is who trawled through it?

â??Is there a need for a compliance officer or is it whoever edits Sportscene? Is it trial by Sportscene?

â??Are you telling me the compliance officer watches all six games in their entirety to look for things?

â??If you have an editor who supports Rangers, Celtic or Aberdeen, do you think heâ??s going to put in incidents such as the Griffiths one (from his team)?

â??Will we appeal any ban for Michael? 100 per cent, yes. For Higdonâ??s incident to be compared with the Griffiths one made me fall off my chair.

â??It wasnâ??t a, â??Get it up youâ?? gesture. It was probably directed at me because of what I said at half-time.

â??But I can guarantee one million per cent the half-hearted gesture he made wasnâ??t made at the supporters. I know that for a fact.â?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2012/01/24/motherwell-boss-stuart-mccall-blasts-bbc-as-michael-higdon-and-leigh-griffiths-face-bans-over-gestures-86908-23714620/

Compliance Officer References...............

Hearts (4) - Paulo Sergio (twice), Danny Grainger, Ryan McGowan

Hibs (4) - Gary O'Connor, Leigh Griffiths (3 times)

Rangers (3) - Steven Naismith, Sone Aluko, Lee McCulloch

Motherwell (2) - Steve Jennings, Michael Higdon

Dunfermline (1) - Jim McIntyre

St Mirren (1) - Jim Goodwin

Aberdeen (1) - Peter Pawlett

Dundee Utd (1) - Peter Houston

Kilmarnock (1) - Kenny Shiels

St Johnstone (1) - Steve Lomas

Inverness Caley Thistle (0)

Celtc (0)

So, using Stuart McCall's theory, it looks like the BBC Sportscene Producer/Vincent Lunney support either ICT or Celtc.

Hmmm, I wonder.

Note: ICT have had appeals against Red Cards for Ross Tokeley and Kenny Gillet thrown out by the Disciplinary Panel, which leaves only 1 club in the SPL who have had no reason to feel aggrieved by the SFA's Disciplinary Procedures.