LEGGO - WILD MEN WRONG TO TARGET McCOIST

THE usual suspects are already filling the airwaves and swamping the messages boards with calls for the head of Rangers manager Alistair McCoist.

And all of them without a thought for what would come next should there be a knee jerk reaction inside Ibrox to the rants of some supporters. Nobody seems to have any sane and sensible idea of who would replace him.

The truth is that when Rangers stretched their lead over Celtic to 12 points it created a false impression of the gap between the two teams. Celtic actually have a better, stronger and deeper squad.

At the time of the 12 point gap Celtic had a game in hand, making it realistically a nine point lead for Rangers, plus there was the small matter of an Old Firm game at Parkhead, which history tells us was always more likely to result in a home win. As it did.

Anyone with a decent grasp on reality realised that the lead would soon be chipped away at.

However, while that is true, there was also no great expectation of the turnaround which has happened, taking place. The reason for that has been the poor form of Rangers at Ibrox.

Another two points went astray there against an Aberdeen side shrewdly set up by that wily old fox of a boss, Craig Brown, who knew that Rangers are now more committed to attack than they were and aimed to use the Donsâ?? pace to catch them on the break. Which is what happened.

Much was made in recent seasons of the cautious approach favoured by Walter Smith and, human nature being what it is, as the new man in charge it is perfectly possible McCoist chose to be more adventurous in an effort to win favour with the always hard to please Ibrox support.

The fact is, the way the manager has got his team playing, particularly on home territory, is not working. For, while Rangers are committed to attack, they lack invention, which leads to them becoming over committed, which in turn leaves the back door open.

Perhaps the arrival of Mervan Celik will give Rangers a cutting edge. They have certainly suffered from the loss of Stevie Naismith and, to a lesser extent, Kyle Lafferty.

In the past though, the Ulsterman has shown his best form in the last months of the season. McCoist must be hoping Lafferty does that again when he returns from injury.

As it is, the wild calls for the managerâ??s head are just that. Wild!

If Rangers do not recover ground and do not manage to meet the unrealistic expectation of a fourth successive title, Alistair McCoist will not be the first Rangers manager to fall short in his debut season in charge.

Scot Symon didnâ??t win the championship on taking over from Bill Struth. Willie Waddell didnâ??t either. In fact Waddell never won the crown, but did manage Rangers to the European cup Winners Cup in 1972. Jock Wallace took over from Waddell and didnâ??t triumph first time out. In fact, Wallace did not take the title in his second season either.

So there is plenty of precedent for a new Rangers manager taking time to adjust to the demands on him, before going on to establish himself as a title winning manager of Rangers.

â?¦..ANDâ?¦..

DAVIE WEIR deserved the applause and appreciation he got from the crowd when he took his leave of Rangers. The stalwart rock on which Walter Smith built the three in a row triumphs and run to the UEFA Cup Final, played 221 games for Rangers.

Half of them in May 2008.

http://leggoland2.blogspot.com/

While I agree it would be daft to sack Ally, I would like to see some fresh ideas introduced into the coaching and tactical side of the playing area.

It is going to be very dificult to win the League, the momentum is with the other side now, and I don't see us turning things around. That is where experience as a manager is priceless.

Then again Craig Whyte could surprise everybody where the manager is concerned.

I for one am not part of the 'Sack Ally' brigade I believe he wasn't backed properly last summer by owner CW when it was obvious our squad wasn't big enough to cope with an injury crisis.

I hope during this window we can bring in some quality and then go on the type of run we were on up until the start November when unbeaten after 15 games. It just so happens that since back then Septic have won all there games, so they are due a slip and we'll see how they handle it.

We still have to play them twice and I don't think they are as good as they'de like everyone to believe, so I'm still optimistic about 4iar, the window closes in 9 days, let's hope CW digs deep and provides Ally with some serious dough to make that title dream come true. And then Coisty can be the hero again.