The New King Carlos

Excellent article and without a doubt an outstanding signing. Just one small correction, his debut was not in Malmo. Bocanegra made his debut for Rangers against NK Maribor on 18 August 2011 in an UEFA Europa League qualifier. His involvement in this match later caused controversy when Maribor filed a complaint to UEFA regarding the eligibility of Bocanegra's appearance, questioning whether he had the required clearance and paperwork. However, the protest was rejected by UEFA on 24 August as Maribor did not submit it within twenty-four hours of the match. (Wikipedia).

I was at both matches. Bougherra (playing his last match for Rangers) and Papac were the central defence in Malmo as Goian was injured.

Bocanegra flew in overnight to play his first match for us in Maribor and the Rangers photographer told a group of us in the town that he had not trained and had no chance of playing, but he did. That was the beginning of his partnership with Goian.

Excellent article and without a doubt an outstanding signing. Just one small correction, his debut was not in Malmo. Bocanegra made his debut for Rangers against NK Maribor on 18 August 2011 in an UEFA Europa League qualifier. His involvement in this match later caused controversy when Maribor filed a complaint to UEFA regarding the eligibility of Bocanegra's appearance, questioning whether he had the required clearance and paperwork. However, the protest was rejected by UEFA on 24 August as Maribor did not submit it within twenty-four hours of the match. (Wikipedia).

I was at both matches. Bougherra (playing his last match for Rangers) and Papac were the central defence in Malmo as Goian was injured.

Bocanegra flew in overnight to play his first match for us in Maribor and the Rangers photographer told a group of us in the town that he had not trained and had no chance of playing, but he did. That was the beginning of his partnership with Goian.

Thinking back now, you're right. For some reason I thought it was Malmo, dunno why. I'll edit the correction.

Lack of aerial ability and physical presence are a slight concern for me in a centre back.

Goian provides both and Bocanegra provides the anticipation and intelligence; both try to play football out of defence; as a pair I reckon they are as good as it gets for us and far better than most.

BTW Boca is actuallly 6 ft, he just looks small beside 6'5" Goian!