Davie Weir to leave this week

DAVID WEIR has today announced that this week will be his last as a Rangers player as he bids to extend his remarkable playing career south of the border.

The 41-year-old defender joined the Light Blues in January 2007, becoming Walter Smith's first signing after he was installed as manager for the second time.

It proved a masterstroke and despite Weir's age at that time - he was 36 - his vast experience, skill and composure at the back meant Smith had another leader on the pitch as he looked to turn around the club's fortunes.

The impact was immediate and from the summer of 2007 Rangers would go on a remarkable run of success.

Weir was inspirational alongside Carlos Cuellar as the club reached the UEFA Cup final in 2008 and despite missing out on the SPL title on the final day of that campaign at Pittodrie he did get his hands on the League and Scottish Cups.

This was just the beginning though and Weir went on to captain the club he supported as a boy as six more trophies were won, including three consecutive SPL titles.

On and off the pitch Weir's influence at Ibrox has been massive and his achievements will be recognised on February 19 when he is officially inducted into the Rangers Hall of Fame at the Hilton Hotel.

On Friday, however, he will say farewell to his teammates at Murray Park and, speaking exclusively to RangersTV.tv, he admits it will be a tough moment but believes he is making the correct decision.

Suffice to say the guy has been an inspiration to us all during his time at Rangers. A great player, a great captain & a living legend!

All the best for the future, Davie! :notworthy:

I don't really see what club other than a lower league (or more likely non-league) side would want a 41 year old defender, but it seems to me Weir is holding on a bit too much and really should concentrate on coaching.

Good luck to him though.

And I have to say this is the first time I've ever heard that he supported Rangers as a boy.

I hope the official site isn't doing a Robbie Keane to him there.

All the best Davie, playing top league football at his age shows you how much he has looked after himself and will easily play for a lower league club for a few more years yet and hopefully he stays injury free until he does decide to hang his boots up. Legend for me.

I don't really see what club other than a lower league (or more likely non-league) side would want a 41 year old defender, but it seems to me Weir is holding on a bit too much and really should concentrate on coaching.

Good luck to him though.

And I have to say this is the first time I've ever heard that he supported Rangers as a boy.

I hope the official site isn't doing a Robbie Keane to him there.

Is well known that he is a Bear.

Did he not say that he grew up as a bluenose on the Walter Smith 2 part documentary?

Shame he couldn't stay on as a coach but I appreciate the 4 and a half years he has given us.

Was it 2008 that he played every minute of every game? Legend.