Rangers players targeted in Twitter racist abuse

Strathclyde Police are investigating complaints of racist messages directed at Maurice Edu and Kyle Bartley.

Police are investigating complaints that a Celtic fan sent racist messages to two black Rangers players on Twitter.

Kyle Bartley, who is on a season-long loan from Arsenal, and Maurice Edu were targeted by a user whose profile gave his location as Glasgow.

The messages to both players were posted on the public site but included the players' Twitter user names so they would show up on their message streams.

One told Edu to "go back to the jungle were u belong", while another sent to Bartley read: "Hope you crash on the way hame" followed by a racist insult.

Another message, apparently directed at Bartley but sent instead to striker Kyle Lafferty, who is white, said: "cany wait til wan of the hoops decapitates u".

Bartley later tweeted: "Disappointing that in 2012 things like this are still happening. Hopefully the police will take action. Thankyou all for the support."

Strathclyde Police said they were aware of the abuse and details of the messages would be passed on to the appropriate officers.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/293678-rangers-players-targeted-in-twitter-racist-abuse/

RANGERS have confirmed that police have been alerted to messages received by players on social networking site Twitter today.

A statement read: "These comments are disgraceful and we immediately notified the Police who are now investigating the matter.

"The Club will assist with all inquiries."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/football-news/article/2577168

Nearly impossible to prove that the person who posted the comments actually posted them (if you know what I mean).

Just say Mr X posted the comments on his Twitter or FB account. The police come knocking on his door and ask him about it. All he has to say is "It wasn't me, someone must've hacked my account!".

Can't prove it's him.

Nearly impossible to prove that the person who posted the comments actually posted them (if you know what I mean).

Just say Mr X posted the comments on his Twitter or FB account. The police come knocking on his door and ask him about it. All he has to say is "It wasn't me, someone must've hacked my account!".

Can't prove it's him.

Inspector Clouseau here....comparing spelling mistakes and poor grammar from previous tweets - could that not nail the scum?

Edited by 54andcounting

Twitter should be able to tell the cops exactly what IP address the tweet or tweets came from, so the cops will be able to find out exactly which house the culprit lives in.

IP is like an Internet postcode. Only gives the area. Certainly isn't precise.

IP is like an Internet postcode. Only gives the area. Certainly isn't precise.

It's only non-precise to the general public looking at the DHCP IP address. Every modem connected to a DHCP server has a unique IP address which is separate from the DHCP one. The actual service provider (ISP) knows EXACTLY which of their customer accounts has used a specific IP, so unless the culprit has been using IP spoofing, TOR or something similar then the household/postal address CAN be tracked down.

You're best chance of a conviction is if the poster admits to it.

Zappa, what if the boy who poasted the comments used his phone to connect to the net? The poster may also have a PAYG phone and not registered it. It's not as easy as some think.