Leggo - ATTACKS ON McCOIST AN OUTRAGE

Wednesday, 4 January 2012

ATTACKS ON McCOIST AN OUTRAGE

SOME of the attacks on Alistair McCoist in the past few days from Rangers supporters have been beyond outrageous.

I find it hard to believe that there are Ibrox fans out there who are calling for the manager to go and wholesale and dramatic changes to be made.

Or at least I would if I hadnâ??t heard it all before. Over and over and over again and again and again.

Only the names have been changed.

Five years ago, with the team on the run under the mismanagement of the French farce that was Paul le Guen, there were those who howled their derision and anguish when it was announced that Rangers had turned to Walter Smith.

Honestly, there were Rangers fans who did not want Smith back at Ibrox.

And in the four and a half years which followed there continued to be calls for Smith to go, despite three titles out of four, cups galore and the glory Euro run to the UEFA Cup Final.

Perhaps some of those who now want McCoist out were those who didnâ??t want Smith back, while other members of the current lynch mob no doubt wanted Smith strung up too.

Thereâ??s no pleasing some folk. If Rangers were to win all of their SPL matches in any given campaign, but go out of the League and Scottish Cups, you can bet your bottom dollar there would be some banshees out there howling for blood.

The truth is that there is, and has been, very little between Rangers and Celtic for the past four seasons. In which time Rangers have won three SPL titles and only failed to land the 2008 championship because of a fixture backlog brought on by a combination of bad weather, domestic cup replays, the adventure which took the team to the UEFA Cup Final, plus a lack of help and understanding from an lilly livered SPL hierarchy which bent the knee to Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwellâ??s demands.

Under those circumstances, three in a row is quite and achievement. Four in a row would be beyond most sane peopleâ??s wildest dreams.

If there are some Rangers supporters still out there who believe the Ibrox club has some sort of God given right to be crowned champions every year then I refer them to the Wee Red Book.

The nine in a row era at Ibrox was as much an anomaly on that side of the city as it had been when Celtic ruled the roost. In fact, the third title on Rangersâ?? run was the first occasion that three in a row had been achieved since the 1930s, under Bill Struth.

Study the record of champions and you will see what I mean.

Of course supporters bitching about their manager is nothing new. It is just that, given the circumstances Rangers, the club are in this season, one would have thought fans would have been a little more understanding and forgiving of any shortcomings in Rangers, the team.

Rather than giving aid and succour to the many enemies of Rangers â?? and there are enough of them out there â??Rangers fans should be circling the wagons and joining together to help owner Craig Whyte and manager McCoist work together to ensure the future of the club is as happy, glorious and victorious as its history.

Of course, winning a fourth successive title is not some hopeless cause. Rangers remain a mere two points off the top of the table and there may well be a succession of ups and downs in the remaining near five months of the championship chase.

But if Rangers should come up short, then it will not be the first time they have failed to take the title. It will not be the end of the world. Even Bill Struth didnâ??t make them champions ever year of his reign. Indeed the lowest point in Rangersâ?? league history came in season 1925-26 when Rangers were SIXTH.

No doubt there were mumps and moans from supporters back then, the only difference being they were confined to the pubs in the days before message boards and radio phone ins. However, had the internet and phone ins existed back then ,then itâ??s a safe bet the same sort of lynch mob would have been howling for Struth to go.

The other difference back then â?? and this is the most vital one - is the very existence of the club was not imperiled.

For once in the clubâ??s history, winning the title is not the priority. The priority is surviving and living to fight and win another day.

What a pity that those who wish Rangers ill, and who are hovering like vultures smelling blood, are being given encouragement by those who claim to be loyal Rangers men.

McCoist and the Rangers of Struth, of Scot Symon, of Willie Waddell, of John Greig and of Walter Smith, deserve better.

Well said and it's nice to see Leggo writing an article about Rangers for a change.

It was always on the cards for a large number of fans to start turning on McCoist relatively quickly though because plenty didn't want him to get the job in the first place just as with Walter when he came back. Obviously for different reasons, but the logic stands strong that fans who don't want a manager and are simply forced to accept him will be quick to stick the knife in when things aren't going as well as they could be.

...Yes, and It'll be same fans who didn't want him after Souness left for Liverpool - He wasn't a big enough name back then.

Yes I prefer managers with more than 7 letters in their surname.;)

I think the criticism McCoist is getting at this moment is of his own doing. I always said I think he should manage another club before Rangers and to be honest I have not changed my mind as I think he is making the mistakes that he may not make if he was a bit more experienced. It is not that I never wanted McCoist as manager I would just have preferred that he had more experience. Some of his decisions and statements beggar belief to be honest.

.....Back to the post, McCoist is cutting his teeth as a manager, a wee bit like most managers do...no better than at the club he loves.

Maybe someone can put a poll on here regarding Ally as a manager. Like, is he the right choice? Or not? Perhaps a Yes/No type poll....mine's is a Yes.

Undecided on Super, he needs time to become a good or great manager and he won't get that at Rangers. Have to agree with Pete would've liked to see him cutting his teeth somewhere else. Just hope it doesn't go pear shaped big style for him.

Edited by GovanAllan
Usual pish spelling

I have my doubts about Ally but I think he deserves our support this season at least. He's made some bizarre decisions but with the complete lack of money we seem to have, I'm not sure how even Mourinho could make our current squad any better than it currently is.

Truth is who was the last manager we had who we all agreed on every decision he made? None.

Go back to Souness - ditched Ally. Walter, signed some real shite (Cleland, Wright, Boli). Advocaat, spent way too much and created a Dutch divide, Eck - Wattereus over Klos and other odd decisions, PLG - constantly saying it was his choice every time he made a bizarre decision, Walter - some baffling decisions the second time round.

Success or not, all managers are their own men and will do things some fans will not agree with.

Ally has to become successful for those decisions to be trusted by said fans, and he hasn't achieved that. Walter had.

I have my doubts about Ally........

Go back to Souness - ditched Ally. Walter, signed some real shite (Cleland, Wright, Boli). Advocaat, spent way too much and created a Dutch divide, Eck - Wattereus over Klos and other odd decisions, PLG - constantly saying it was his choice every time he made a bizarre decision, Walter - some baffling decisions the second time round.

Ally has to become successful for those decisions to be trusted by said fans, and he hasn't achieved that. Walter had.

I can remember long long way back when Ally took in his first OF game as manager and triumphed 4-2, then built up a 15 point lead over the Mhanks, after that he had grief from so called Rangers fans. How the fuck can anyone succeed with that record?