Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a trequartista and is Fleck one? He seems to be a player in search of a role, much like Adam was - if you remember we were unable to accommodate him and Ferguson in the same central midfield. Would hate for Fleck to go on and 'do an Adam' as it were.

I found this as well:

A Mediteranean attacking midfielder. Something like an advanced playmaker - but without as much responsibility for setting up teammates. A weapon/free role who plays behind the striker. Its a very prestigious role in Italy, and they groom young players for it. Often used in Spain as well. The first thing that comes to mind is Roberto Baggio. Messi often plays like a trequartista.

Trequartistas are typically used as part of a three man attack - either with two forwards or alongside a more supporting attacking midfielder with a centre forward up front. Most Italian teams use the "Tridente" - three pronged attack.

Trequartista means "Three quarters," as in he plays 3/4 of the way up the field.

Not sure if Fleck is the next Baggio or Messi; he hasn't made the progress I expected and I think he has lost his way in some respects.

Fleck ran with ease right through the Mhanky defence and scored in an under 19s final some years ago, and at the time Jim Craig 'septic legend' said on television 'He won't manage that in the first team'....I thought (bitter bashtard, just wait and see).

.....well, turns out the mhank was right!! Fleck should be shipped, he's let himself down.

Fleck ran with ease right through the Mhanky defence and scored in an under 19s final some years ago, and at the time Jim Craig 'septic legend' said on television 'He won't manage that in the first team'....I thought (bitter bashtard, just wait and see).

.....well, turns out the mhank was right!! Fleck should be shipped, he's let himself down.

We've heard a "story" or two about Fleck letting himself down, but asking for him to be shipped off?

Give the lad a real chance at the club.

I'd definitely prefer if Fleck were to stay and get opportunities in cup ties and easier matches, to see if we can get the best out of him. Like a few have said, would hate for him to go out on loan, do decent and be sold on for pennies, to eventually turn out to be a pretty decent EPL/Championship player.

If we're not going to play him and give him the chance to progress, then we may as well let him go on loan to see if he can take another step in his development. Still a really young lad at 20 and a lot of fans forget that, seeing as how he's been around the first team for years now.

Hutton though, we need to keep at utilise much more. He looks comfortable and solid when he's played for us and getting first team games under his belt is the best way for him to improve. We all know we can't bring in many new players over the next few years, so we have to force the talent to become stars.

I'd definitely prefer if Fleck were to stay and get opportunities in cup ties and easier matches, to see if we can get the best out of him. Like a few have said, would hate for him to go out on loan, do decent and be sold on for pennies, to eventually turn out to be a pretty decent EPL/Championship player.

If we're not going to play him and give him the chance to progress, then we may as well let him go on loan to see if he can take another step in his development. Still a really young lad at 20 and a lot of fans forget that, seeing as how he's been around the first team for years now.

Hutton though, we need to keep at utilise much more. He looks comfortable and solid when he's played for us and getting first team games under his belt is the best way for him to improve. We all know we can't bring in many new players over the next few years, so we have to force the talent to become stars.

Agree with most of that, although I'd rather see Fleck stay here and get a chance to become a starter for us. If he doesn't get the chance/s I don't see how he'll ever be the Rangers player he's capable of being.

Regarding Hutton, it's obvious to us that he's worth playing in midfield, but it doesn't seem obvious to Ally. Either that or Ally's hands are somehow tied behind his back, but that doesn't make too much sense really.

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a trequartista and is Fleck one? He seems to be a player in search of a role, much like Adam was - if you remember we were unable to accommodate him and Ferguson in the same central midfield. Would hate for Fleck to go on and 'do an Adam' as it were.

BH has provided a nice wee definition. It's basically the role Fleck is best at, but there's no place at Rangers for that kind of position. Buffel was one too but only featured once under Walter. It's not a role our management (or indeed Scottish management) employ at all.

Kaka was one at Milan, Scholes in his earlier years was one at Man Utd.

I remember that final. It made some delusional Scottish pundits think we'd found the Scottish Rooney.

Because it's too much of a risk. Our league chances are already starting to fall away, and Ally's thinking will be that putting in 2 relative 'youngsters' who haven't exactly proven themselves is far too much of a gamble and too much pressure on them.

I agree with that, but unfortunately that comes with the territory of being in charge of Rangers (or Celtic) and as for them not proving themselves, part of that problem is down to him not changing things around earlier or given other players a run in the team earlier in the season imo.

I agree with that, but unfortunately that comes with the territory of being in charge of Rangers (or Celtic) and as for them not proving themselves, part of that problem is down to him not changing things around earlier or given other players a run in the team earlier in the season imo.

With the smaller provincial clubs there's less pressure to win, so younger players get more chances and often take them with both hands, given they're not under the massive pressure to win every match.

At Rangers it's different - we're expecting Fleck or Hutton to come in and get us back to winning ways, and there is absolutely no way of telling whether they'll thrive on this pressure, or crumble. If we were a smaller club then I'd be all for giving these fringe players good chances, but at Rangers the pressure is too great.

I looked it up on Wicki, I guess the literal translation would be "three-quarters" or something like that:

Deep-lying forwards have a long history in the game, but the terminology to describe them has varied over the years. Originally such players were termed inside forwards, or deep-lying centre forwards. More recently, two more variations of this old type of player have developed: the second or shadow or support or auxiliary striker and, in what is in fact a distinct position unto its own, the Number 10, the Trequartista who is often described as an attacking midfielder or the playmaker.

The second striker position is a loosely-defined and often misapplied one somewhere between the out-and-out striker, whether he is a target-man or more of a poacher, and the Number 10 or Trequartista, while possibly showing some of the characteristics of both. In fact, a coined term, the "nine-and-a-half", has been an attempt to define the position. Conceivably, a Number 10 can alternate as a second-striker provided that he is also a prolific goalscorer, otherwise a striker who can both score and create opportunities for a less versatile centre forward is more suited. This has been true of natural trequartistas like Roberto Baggio, Francesco Totti, and Alessandro Del Piero, and outside of Italy the likes of Kenny Dalglish who seldom played in a team formation which permitted them the creative license to play as a number 10 and so they adapted themselves to the second-striker role. Second or support strikers do not tend to get as involved in the orchestration of attacks, nor bring as many other

So I think Fleck IS one, in that his best position in my opinion is behind the main striker but not as others have said an attacking midfileder per se.

Thanks mate, much appreciate the trouble you went to. He really needs a run out in that role.