Offensive Behaviour Bill passed today by Parliament

As per post #8.

Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications Bill

Aaah, OK.

Threatening Communications? There's already a statute law in place for that. I take it this new law can only be used in and around football grounds or can it be used when lifting someone from a pub when a football game is being shown live on the TV?

Need to do a bit of looking into this at work.

Now this makes the old firm game look daft! I can't fookin wait until the 28th :)

It could go one of two ways:_

1) Quiet with the fans behaving themselves

or

2) With a bang because the fans are taking a stand against it.

Thankfully, I'll be in the house the entire night on the 28th. :D

Aaah, OK.

Threatening Communications? There's already a statute law in place for that. I take it this new law can only be used in and around football grounds or can it be used when lifting someone from a pub when a football game is being shown live on the TV?

Need to do a bit of looking into this at work.

From what I heard during the debate it covers any area inside/around a Stadium on matchday, it covers fans travelling to/from the game on matchday and it also covers pubs showing live matches.

Secondly, it is a line to God Save The Queen, as I'm sure you know.

I can quote you the whole verse from memory if you like. :touche: It's the sixth verse of a lesser known version which was never officially adopted. There are two official verses with the second only sung rarely at state occasions and I can quote both of them if you like. I don't remember the other three verses. The only reason that sixth verse is widely known today, is due to Billy Connolly - and I use it to wind up the English. :devil:

But the thing I'm wondering is, if you don't sing the line does it make the song ok? In which case if we sang the billy boys without the 'up to our knees' line would that make it ok?

I agree, changing the words would be ok for me but UEFA have banned us as they reckon it's so ingrained and our attitude so poor that we'd probably be IMPLYING the original words, even if we just hum.

Personally I don't think that would be OK as there would always be someone tempted to sing the line anyway.

That's also the case which could result in the original song being sung by everyone. Our fans are basically being punished for being immensely stupid - we had decades of warnings to change the lyrics. :facepalm:

In which case would GSTQ be classed as offensive for containing a line, whether it is sung or not?

My personal answer is no, as that verse is not sung very often if at all and is not an official verse. The whole point is about intent to offend and incite and as yet there is no intent there.

I see where you're coming from, but it's not a valid example in my eyes.